Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel spacers

So I bought wheel spacers for my yfz 450, and really havent rode it. Now a lot of people are telling me to take them off. I know the pros and cons. And I ride all the terrain, these spacers are the cheap kind the stud version.I seriously dont think their going to break, and they have a life-time warrenty. Besides the front wear on the ball joints I see no other reason to take them off. Any opinion's from any one, or bad experiencies. I will be taking it out this weekend on the trail and then next weekend to sandlakes.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xYFZ450x
So I bought wheel spacers for my yfz 450, and really havent rode it. Now a lot of people are telling me to take them off. I know the pros and cons. And I ride all the terrain, these spacers are the cheap kind the stud version.I seriously dont think their going to break, and they have a life-time warrenty. Besides the front wear on the ball joints I see no other reason to take them off. Any opinion's from any one, or bad experiencies. I will be taking it out this weekend on the trail and then next weekend to sandlakes.
Thanks

I've had spacers on sport & utility quads. Never had any of them break. The biggest problem I found was the extra width made it tricky in the trails and getting by the restrictor poles. The extra width will also effect your steering and stability, but you get used to that pretty quick.

If you like'em, keep'em on- it's up to you.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM

i got an 05 300ex been looking into getting some spacers for mine....

any good brands and does anyone think i should(n't) be putting them on?? dont know

Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky

any good brands and does anyone think i should(n't) be putting them on?? dont know
All I did was hit truevalue hardware and got some grade 8 bolts (to replace the studs) and some steel spacers. It worked great for my rincon.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

don't know the how much spacers break if you don't want to trust them a set of +2 g force rear hubs are about $85 they cost a good bit more than the spacers but its always an option.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky

Put some 1" spacers on my son's 300ex rear, it was fine for trail riding, but he started jumping driveways, and ended up bending the axle right by the hub. The spacer puts the torsional forces outside the hub axis, simply put, it amplifies the force on the outside end of the axle, and will be easier to bend if you start really pounding it. If possible, try and find a good used Durablue or other brand racing axle that is wider than stock, they are made for the extra width. If all you are looking for is trail stability, spacers should be fine, but if you are motocrossing or heavy ditch jumping, you may have a problem. To make your front wider, and ride better, find some good used 400ex a arms, they bolt right in, give you about 1" per side, you just need longer tie rods and a shock kit to mount the longer 400ex shocks. It is one of the best mods you can make for the money, it will be less tippy in corners, and soak up bumps so much better, 400 shocks are almost twice as long as 300 stockers.