Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

sick warrior shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 06:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have warrior thats etremely hard to shift.it has a new ebc clutch.new clutch cable.cold or warm it hard to shift,anyone have a fix for this .
it has 400cc kit if that has anything to do with it.iam also running golden spectro sysnthetic.i called on shop & the mechanic said to run automatic transmission fluid,in it.help .also does anyone have any good ideas on how i can talk my wife in to getting a raptor

99warrior
fmf megamax
k&n air filter
400cckit
bad saddle seat cover(rebel flag)

Old 03-13-2001, 02:47 PM
did
Trailblazer

The shift linkage might be out of adjustment. Dont run trans fluid in it because it will damage the motor.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

did

thanks for the infoon the fluid.now you wouldnt by chance be able to tell me how to adjust the linkage & where its located.ive been to 3 different shops about this problem they want 500 to 2000$ to fix it .not one of them has mentioned the shift linkage. thanks!

Old 03-13-2001, 11:46 PM
did
Trailblazer

Its the rod that hooks the shift lever to the motor. Make sure the ball socket ends are not worn out and that it is with in the specs given in the manual.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yamaha has no set adjustment for the shift linkage, instead you must experiment with that rod that attaches to the shifter. Loosen the nuts at either end and turn the shaft. Increasing the length might help, make incremental adjustments.
Keep that tranny fluid outta there! I Use mobile 1 tx4 9 motorcycle specific oil in my warrior. It really does make it shift smoother with more positive engagement. You also can feel when its time to change it out too by this method. Golden spectral in my opinion is overpriced crud! It really foams up which could cause cavitation in the oil pump; not a good thing. I used the mobile in my sportbike(cbr900rr) with excellent results as well. Stay away from mechanics who are not well versed in motor cycle specific oils. There is alot to be learned about the subject.

Old 03-14-2001, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well there could be lots wrong with your "hard shifting" What exactly is it doing? Is it hard to shift gears, Does the clutch not want to disengage?? Is it only in certain gears? From what you have told me I would say ditch the mechanic that told you to run ATF in your trans, This is a 2 stroke trick that only works because the gearbox and crank are seperately oilled. Running ATF would fry the crank in a 4 stroke. Warriors are known to have a bad bearing in the transmission, It could be the culprit and if not fixed ASAP then it can cause lots of damage. The shift cam or bent shift fork could also be to blame. Who installed the clutch?

Old 03-15-2001, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

i want to thank everyone for the info .by chance are any of you mechanics.because my wife thinks iam making it up to get a raptor.its every gear half of the time it wont budge .its not picky what gear it does it in.i do know this it was hard shifting before i put the clutch in .the only reason i changed the clutch is .is because a mechanic at the local shop said it fix the prob.everydealer ship i went to all the want to do is rip the motor out for the big bucks.i bought this used & its been a night mare from day one.peace

Old 03-16-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I am not a certified mechanic, I know quiet a few, And I love working on machines of all sizes. I do have a few hundred hours as an HD mechanic apprentice. I would definatly check/replace the items that I listed. Shift problems in every gear indicate something is out of alignment or your shift cam or shift star is worn badly. For a few hundred bucks you can have all new bearings in your motor, dont know what the shift cam is worth, Probably about $100 or something. Your warrior should be one of the most reliable machines on the mountain! Hints for getting the wifey to let you buy the raptor.. Uhmm fix the warrior, Then give it to her and complain that you need your own quad.. Put your foot down, Say [WifesNameHere] I am buying a Raptor, and that is that. When she gives you that evil eye (you know the one) Beg, Wimper, Plead (it works for them!) Oh.. And from what I have heard, The raptor is going to give you more transmission troubles..

Old 03-20-2001, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

shifting is weird on warrior i have a 2000 and gripe all the time. About how to get wife to get raptor....marry me.....i would love to have one.....lol...they rule!