Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lemon Replace or Refund????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after 4 attempts my grizzly still has a belt problem and I have decided to exercise my rights under the Ohio Lemon Law. Tme will tell if I am successful.
I have the option of a new replacement quad or full refund of purchase price including tax etc.
What do you guys think? Get a new Grizzly or Ask for the refund and buy a different quad.
I'm writing my letter now and would just like everyones input.
Geez I hope this works out.....

Old 03-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

I love my grizzly, but if I was in your position I think I would look at the new Kawasaki. Good luck Tim.

Old 03-16-2001, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I know you're frustrated, GRIZZLYOLDMAN. However, invoking the "Lemon Law" is a drastic step, perhaps resulting in a "Punic victory" even if you win (as in, winning battles but losing war).

If you want to go that far, I'd recommend you go for cash. I'd hesitate asking for a replacement Grizzly; human nature being what it is, I'd be surprised if the dealership didn't try to get even with you in subtle, unseen ways.

If corporate Yamaha and the dealership won't make things right (a better solution), you may have no choice; principle may drive you to the lemon law provisions. Yet, I'd be surprised if the dealership wants to kiss and make up after the conflict ends, using the lemon law sounds like total war.

Diogenes

Old 03-16-2001, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

DioGenes,
I have been in touch with Yamaha customer relations on several occassions, each time they have been little to no help. Promises were made to look into the problem and call me back in a few hours. Well a few days would go by and no response and I would call and they would make more promises only to fall short.

My dealer has experienced the same thing from their technical support people.

My dealer is actually the one that talked to me about invoking the lemon law. They thought that it could be the only possible remedy.

I sent out the letter today outlining my situation and the remedy I am seeking, Full refund.
If nothing else maybe I will get some attention. Besides, why would the law be in place if we should be afraid to use it?

It will be interesting to say the least...

Old 03-16-2001, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

You might get a quicker response if you have your attorney type up a letter. It will cost you a couple bucks, but I would bet that they would take a closer look at your situation if the letter was from an attorney, typed up on his stationary.

Old 03-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Go for it! If Yamaha doesnt value as a customer, Take your business elsewhere. I have never had a problem with them. But they seem to be giving you alot of BS... I would even state in 2 letters that your are extremely dissatisfied with there customer service, and in the other, I would tell Kawasaki/Polaris/Honda/Whoever that you chose there ATV after having to deal with the a-hole Yamaha guyz... A little jab in the ribs...

Old 03-30-2001, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

Just thought I would update everyone on my progress:
I sent a certified letter to Yamaha Customer Service and a week later the Yamaha district rep showed up at the dealer.
They decided that they wanted to keep the motor and send it to Japan for analysis.
They are installing a new motor in my Grizz as I write this, Giving me a full 6 month warranty (hope I dont have to use it) and allowing me the first service after break-in at no charge.
This is not what I asked for but it will work.

I hope I can now join the ranks of the satisfied Yamaha customers........

Old 03-31-2001, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad to hear you finally got some help. That must have really sucked having a new quad and not being able to ride it due to a manufactering defect. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had a single problem with my Grizzly, and I ride it pretty hard often. I think once you get the new motor installed you should have the same outstanding reliability I have had with mine!

Rick

Old 04-01-2001, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Get another grizz,mine runs great,and I drive it like I stole the thing.Get rid of the ****bag that you have now its tainted.In your eyes it will allways be a pice of ****.