Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dead blaster, help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 12:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was ridin with a buddy of mine today and his blaster just quit. Before it quit it was sputtering/backfiring, then while we were going it just bogged down and died. When we were trying to restart it, it popped really loud and made a hissing sound. We pulled it back to his house and took the plug out. The plug was wet, but not black. We looked it over for about 2 hrs and finally when we checked for a spark, it had no spark sometimes, but other times it did. Whats wrong with the thing, is it the stator, or the selenoid, or something else??? Please help, we are supposed to go to attica sat. and need to get it fixed.

Old 03-19-2001, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Check the T.O.R.S. You can do this by checking if there is a spark while giving it gas at the same time. If there is still a spark when you do this then its fine. Check the reeds also. Mine did it too and once it was the tors and the other time it was the reeds. And I don't think a Blaster has a selenoid because it doesn't have an electric starter. Hope it helps.

Old 03-19-2001, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

We tried for a spark agian and got it to spark. The first time we tried it wasnt grounded good enough. Also, we took it to a mechanically inclined person and they said besides missing several various nuts and bolts, that it should run if we get the gasket. how do we get to the reeds to check them?? The blaster is and 89 that has been blown up and rebuilt 2 or 3 times and is supposedly a 240 now, so is there anything else we should check??

Old 03-20-2001, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

To see your reeds you have to take the rear plastic off, carb off, and there will be the reed cage, there are 4bolts and you can just take it off, be sure to have a clean aera if any dirt gets in there it will kill the engine.

A good way to tell if your reeds are messed up is to take the seat off, take the airbox cover off and kick it over, if there is a bunch of exhaust blowing back into the airbox you have a broken reed.

P.S. If its got compression, gas, and spark, chances are its something stupid... (aka reeds.. etc..)

Old 03-20-2001, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

try a brand new plug, even if you already cleaned the old one really good and it looks fine. the insulator on the plug can go bad. this is obvious and you may have tried it already, but hissing and misfiring is probably just a bad plug. start simple first.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:43 PM
bow
Trailblazer

How much comp. does the quad have? If it doesn't have enough that could result in it missing and dying. One guy told me the way he checked for compression was by taking the spark plug out, turning off the fuel, then put your finger over the spark plug hole and give it a kick, if it has enough comp. to run it should blow your finger off the hole. Oh yes is the gas tank full? I am not trying to insult you but my old two stroke 3 wheeler misses and dies once it gets down to a quarter of a tank.