Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Kodiak Oil Leak / Backordered parts from Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Kodiak 4x4 that we've only had for 7 months and for the last month of the 7 it has been in the Yamaha shop. I noticed a oil leaking out of the bottom of the Auto transmission V-Belt Cover. According to the service tech, there is a engine oil seal that is leaking (the actual part is called a collar ?). Just made it under the 6 Month warranty. The part has been on backorder for 4 weeks now, I call every week and get the same news, backordered ! The dealer says he can do nothing except wait for the part. Does anyone know of a phone number or e-mail for Yamaha Customer Service so I can find out what is going on, this is ridiculous ! I looked in my owners manual but only see an address in CA. I paid too much money for this machine only to have it sit in a shop waiting for parts. Has anyone else run into parts availability problems with Yamaha ? Thanks for any advice..

Old 03-19-2001, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

Man, I'm sorry to hear you are having that kind of service problem. I recently recieved a letter from Yamaha Customer Service after buying my Big Bear. The letter does not have a customer service number, but it does have a name and address.

Buzz Huse
Senior Vice President
Customer Support Group
26040 Acero, Suite 100
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

There is a number on the letter that it says to call to get information on a ATV riding training course. That number is 1-800-887-2887. On Yamaha's website, there is a sales number, 1-800-88-Yamaha. Neither of these numbers says anything about customer service, but they may be able to direct you to the appropriate place. I hope this helps and that you get your problem fixed quickly.

Old 03-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

When my water pump went out on my Kodiak it was in the shop for a month waiting on the pump. Like you, it pissed me the F off. Even more so because I could NEVER find an e-mail address and/or a phone number to call. I could only find the address that the previous poster listed. Please, take the time out and write them a letter regarding this kind of service. I did....and hopefully the more of us that do, they will do something about the lousy service.

Old 03-19-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Hey springer, Found this number on a Yamaha Motors, USA web site. It might be what your looking for. And please, stop with the Kodiak horror stories, your scaring the hell out of me. I just picked up my new Kodiak the 1st of this month. Anyway, thanks for the tip to watch out for oil leak and good luck with Customer Service. Keep us posted on how it works out.

For other customer relations issues:
Please call or write to our Customer Relations Department. Our business hours are Monday
through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Yamaha Motor Corporation U.S.A.
Customer Relations Department
P.O. Box 6555
Cypress, CA 90630

1-800-962-7926

Old 03-19-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Springer, I hate to hear this too. I have never heard this problem before and am sure it is an isolated case. My choke plunger was on backorder for 2 weeks and but my water pump arived in just a couple of days. Sorry but I dont have any number or email address. Overall I am very very pleased with the quality and performance of my Kodiak. Dont let the service get you down about your Kodiak. I think the Kodiak is one of the best ATVs on the market today.

Old 03-19-2001, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Customer service- 1-800-635-0736
Technical Support- 1-800-962-7926
Try those ,not sure if they are correct though.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

Hmmmmm. Sounds like the same problem I have with my Grizzly. The collar seal has been leaking since day one. Causes the belt to slip. Unfortunately they have not been able to repair it 4 attempts!!!! Make sure you keep an eye on this. I too had to wait three weeks for the first seal to come in but my dealer ordered several do the next to times I didnt have to wait.

Yamaha customer relations
6555 Katella Ave
Cypress, CA. 90630
1-800-962-7926
8:30 to 5:00 closed from 12:30 to 1:30

Hope you have better luck than I am having.

Old 03-21-2001, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

Have to join the crowd with accolades on the Kodiak, and heaps of criticism to Yamaha for the dumb things they do to keep a really fine bunch of products in the shadow of doubt. Air filters and chain adjustment on Banshees, lousy brakes on several products, and the threat of the speedo drive plug falling out on the 00 Kodiaks, that lets the engine oil drain out, to name just a few. My Kodiak is a daily rider in mud and all sorts of gunk, and with operators that have a habit of not praticing maintaince, still it is a good machine. Just can't figure the business out.
Guess this post can be considered Yamaha Co. bashing, but not the products. Weird Huh?

98 450-s
stock, blackwaters

00 Kodiak, stock

Old 03-23-2001, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info and phone numbers. I called the 1-800-962-7926 number in CA. It was a rough time getting through (line busy or put on hold) but eventually I was able to speak to a representative and address my concerns. The lady was very pleasant but I did not get any satisfaction as to why parts take so long to get, unfortunately it looks like its something we have to put up with. My main concern was just getting my machine fixed and back. She looked up the order
and found that the part had just recently shipped.
Bottom line, I can pick up the machine after work today, finally, after almost 5 weeks! I do agree with everyones comments on what a great machine the Kodiak is (I would buy another one too!), but I'm still very concerned about the one post with the Grizzly which has had this 'collar seal' replaced 4 times and still leaks. I gonna keep a close eye on it. Has anyone else had this seal go on their Kodiak or Grizzly ?