Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! Why is my Kodiak leaking gas??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Why is my Kodiak leaking gas??

Just recently my Kodiak started leaking fuel out of the hose line that connects to the bottom of the carb. (is this a drain line for the bowl?) See pics, any idea why this is leaking? I tried tightening the screw at the carb but it didnt budge..Please help!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clean your carburetor

my big bear 400 did the same thing.it was the over flow on the fuel bowl.dirty or sticky needle and seat.try cleaning it with carb spray and air.you may need to get a carburetor rebuild kit.hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, so pulling the hose off and spraying in the drain hole or do i need to take the whole carb off and clean??

Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

you will need to take it apart and remove the needle and float to clean it . be careful with the gasket and use a proper size screwdriver to remove the screws of the fuel bowl(so you will not strip the heads).use a small brush and a small pick or flat head screwdriver to carefully remove any derbies and spay with carburetor cleaner ,making sure to spray in all the holes and jets. be sure to clean the outside of the carburetor before you open it.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by heikoboehm
you will need to take it apart and remove the needle and float to clean it . be careful with the gasket and use a proper size screwdriver to remove the screws of the fuel bowl(so you will not strip the heads).use a small brush and a small pick or flat head screwdriver to carefully remove any derbies and spay with carburetor cleaner ,making sure to spray in all the holes and jets. be sure to clean the outside of the carburetor before you open it.
Damn, i was afraid of that. May have to bring it in for this one. Ive cleaned small engine carbs before but never an ATV carb..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Trailblazer

nothing to it.even installing a carb kit.there aren't that many parts in it.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

thx maybe ill take another look at it and do the carb kit

Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

that's more like it.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having the exact same issue with my old Yamaha three wheeler I replace the whole carburetor Now it only leaks sometimes it is much better than what it was but sometimes it'll still run bad when it starts to run bad it leaks gas out the Overflow the only time it runs bad those occasionally going through mid throttle in a year it'll start toboggan backfire but then it clears up the more i open the air screw the better it is

Old 03-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The most common reason the float needle sticks is because dirt from the tank has got under it and jammed it open. You put a new carb on, more dirt comes through and jams the new one too, either clean the tank out or fit an in line filter to catch the dirt. In line filters have their own problems though, and the paper element type air-locks if run dry, (like when you go onto reserve).

Quick Reply: Help! Why is my Kodiak leaking gas??