Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak Speedo Kit-Cheap Laugh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 01:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my speedo kit for the 2000 Kodiak finally got here and I ran home to intall it. The instructions looked amazingly simple (don't they always?). First thing you have to do is remove the rubber plug on the side of the transmission so you can install the speedo tach. Everybody elses' falls off while they're riding-mine is stuck good. Finally I get it pried off and DUH! Never realized that section has oil in it (yes I'm a dunce with motors)! Anyways, out it comes all over the garage floor and all over the chest of my yellow sweatshirt (which is now a shop rag).
Yamahoo leaves "drain the oil first" out of the instructions! Took me almost as long to clean up the oil as it did to install the damn thing! Of course I have to wait until the next day to try it out 'cause I don't have enough oil handy. Anyway it works fine (even lights up!) and has an odometer in it. Now I don't have to keep asking my bro-in-law (with his fancy computerized dash 450s) "how far've we gone?". So maybe you can have a cheap chuckle at my cost, or maybe if you're "stoopider" than me you can learn something LOL! Took a picture of it-should be up.
Later

Old 03-25-2001, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have been thinking about getting one too. How much did yours cost and where did you buy it from? It did come with the complete dash and cable didnt it. Did it come with a new ignition too? I have put a lot of mods on mine and want to see how it does. I wish I had it on first to see how fast it went when in stock condition. Get back soon Im really interested.

Old 03-25-2001, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

i have also installed the speedo on my oo kodiak so simple its just amazing that it didnt come factory with one but anyways yes comes complete with everything cable,new dash.that has new postions for the lights and new location for the ignition switch. i paid 99.95 for it

Old 03-25-2001, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

The kit I got was ordered at the same bike shop where I got the Kodiak and I think it was $85. You have to remove the little plasitic colored light indicators (4wd, Park etc) from your old dash and put them into the new one. The old ignition just unscrews from the old dash also. The power wires for the light in the speedo are already on the Kodiak, you just remove the cap and plug it into the speedo. Really not hard to install-probably about a 1-2 hour job (if you don't oil yourself LOL!). You have to remove the tank cover, front rack and intake cover & foot rest on the left side and that along with removing & reinstalling the dash lights/ignition took longer than putting the cable and tach unit on.
My Kodiak has I guess about 500 to 700 miles on it now. After I put the speedo on I took it to a flat paved road and wound it out. Got it to do 53 mph. It got up to 45 really quick then took a while to get the rest. Had to lean down to get the last couple mph and I dont have any mods and I have'nt had a tune up since I got it last March. Just oil/filter and other fluid changes.
Kiss do you notice any difference with the KN filter. I have been thinking of putting on on and wondered if it is worth it. What do they cost for your Kodiak?
thanks guys

Old 03-25-2001, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will go ahead and order one for my Kodiak. When I first got mine I raced a Honda 450es and we "estimated" me going 53-55 mph. I was pulling away and slowed down to let him catch up LOL. We were also on paved road.

The K&N did make a difference in the Kodiak. But first I must say I installed the Supertrapp first "which IMO was a mistake" it should have been installed last. Anyway I installed the supertrapp first and could tell no noticable difference in power. When I installed the K&N it did pick up some. Throttle response was better, it idled much smoother and seemed to be a bit quicker. The last thing I did was install the K&N Jet kit. Im still playing with it and need to do at least a 30 min test to evaluate the plug and general performance. At the moment I have the largest jet in the kit in. Its a 134 and the plug is still looking to burn lean with the needle clip on the 6th "richest" postition. I also am running all 12 disk in the supertrapp. The K&N air filter is a universal one I bought from Dennis Kirk. I had to make an adapter for the air box to mount the filter to. Go to my pics to view the adapter along with my snorkels. I will admit the adapter was a pain to make but it is well worth the time spent and it works perfect. I couldnt find an adapter anywhere and I got tired of waiting.

After installing the jet kit there is an improvement in all around power. I did do an experiment with the mufflers. After getting the jet kit in and to where it is now I put the stock muffler back on. I couldnt tell much difference at all in low end speed or quickness but its a world of difference on top end. The supertrapp is a much better looking, sounding and faster muffler. LOL after doing that test it made me feel better about buying the supertrapp. I hope to get 60 mph out of it when I get the speedo on. LOL it would be great to get that with the 27" mudbugs too.

Talk to you all later.

Old 03-25-2001, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Kissofdeath thanks for the info on the air filter. Probably will save me alot of experimenting!