Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Thoughts on the FX400

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i looked at it I could not find any sensor between the airbox and intake to the motor. There could be one but wasn't plainly visible. And I definately didn't notice a O2 sensor in the exhaust. I have a feeling they are using a programmed fuel curve and are just using a throttle sensor. This would make modifying it a bit tougher and expensive. Not something I would want to mess with when there's easier alternatives with other bikes. But if you have the money i am sure this bike has a lot of potential to be modded.

But of course the dealers are going to tell you there is no reason to mod this bike cause it is perfect in its stock form.

Old 03-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like we have a Mustang 5.0 fan in the house. But he is right, although Im guessing that the Cannondale will have a FI setup similiar to Streetbikes. This consist of a throttle body with a injector mounted on it.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

No, not a Mustang fan, but more of a auto mechanic and I have seen more than my share of drive-ability issues with all forms of EFI. No matter what style of fuel managment Cannondale is using, it will be more expensive to modify. After you have done your engine mods, you must make sure that your computer can deliver more fuel to take advantage of your mods. Early systems were able to use a Pragrammable, Read Only, Module (PROM) Which most people recognize as a "chip". This is where the computer gets its directions from and once your mods are completed, you put in your custom chip and you are good to go. This sucks for those of us on a budget who get a pipe this month, cam next month, etc. as the chip is made specifically for your engine combo. Typical cost is from 200 to 800 bucks, depending on how much work is required for your application.
More sophistocated systems do not have a chip, but you can reprogram them with proper soft-ware and a lap-top computer. Very expensive.
Perhaps Cannondale has addressed this issue and developed a more forgiving system or made a larger range of adjustability(if at all) designed into the system. So far they have been pretty tight lipped about the technical side of this machine.
Like I said, I am very interested in getting a close look at one of these machines. I would like to know if it has sensors like the autos, or if it is just a simple fuel delivery system based on throttle position.