Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Report on Powroll Piston & Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 09:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modifications: 11.1 Powroll piston and cam, Pro Flow Filter Kit, CR Racing exhaust system, flowed head, swingarm extension (4 1/2") by JTM Products and Lonestar Axle.

Oh my hell!!!! Yamaha should have done this. I took it out to the St. Anthony dunes last night and wow. I have "tons" more power everywhere. I am cutting out just a bit at the very high RPMs so I probably need to do a little adjusting with the jetting. The swingarm extension is a beautiful piece of work. For the sand it is perfect. With the raptor lengthed and widened it rides and handles so much better.

The engine idles just like stock. Smooth as can be, but when you hit the throttle it sets you back.

My buddy was with me on his 400EX so we traded for a little bit. After riding mine and getting on his it is like where is the engine. I owned a 400ex and loved it but I think I have found the perfect ride. He couldn't believe the difference between mine and his 400ex.

Needless to say the modifications have made a huge positive difference in performance and handling.

Go Powroll!!!!!

Old 04-07-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, you have to take a few questions as that thing sound awesome.

What kind of gas do you have to use?
What was involved with the flow work to the head?
Did you keep stock valves and springs?

Also, what's the cost of the axle extender and do you have any pictures of you exhuast or any other details you can share on it?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2001, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Half and half - race gas and premium. My elevation is over 5,000 feet so I don't have to run straight race gas. They did change the springs but not the valves. JTL has not put a price on the extension yet but based upon their other models I would guess somewhere between $180 & 200. I have a preproduction model. I will email you pictures.

Old 04-09-2001, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

RW660,
Congratulations on your modded Raptor! Thanks for the pic's, I appreciate it.

I wanted to know, which Powroll cam was used in your quad? (I see they offer 2 different cams).

How many hours did your dealer charge for the work? Or did Powroll do the install?

Look forward to hearing from you! Thanks.

P.S. Any chance you would ever put it on the dyno?

Old 04-09-2001, 10:58 AM
Range Rover

My dealer did the complete install. I really don't know which cam I have but if Pam, from Powroll, reads this thread she can tell us. I don't even know where a dyno is located in Idaho. Maybe there is one in Utah. It would be interesting to know the HP.

My dealer gave me a great deal! They flowed my head, purchased and installed the cam & piston, install my JLM swingarm extension along with a new chain and install my Lonearm swing arm for just over $600. They did not purchase the swingarm or swingarm extension.

Old 04-10-2001, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Send me some pics of the swingarm if you dont mind, and oh yeah, stretch that bad boy out and give us some top speed numbers. Thanks

Old 04-11-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ron's got the Midrange camshaft.

Glad you like it so much! I really enjoyed our test bike after we installed the piston and cam also. Wheelies were SO MUCH easier!

Old 04-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

RW660,

I have to ask, and if Pam reads this I would enjoy hearing your response as well.

Because of some of the troubles with the tranny(2nd gear) and some problems with clutch fade. Have you (RW660) or Powroll(Pam) done any changes to either of these items, as a precaution?

I would think with the added power that the clutch and tranny will now be taking alot of added abuse.

Look forward to hearing from you both. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2001, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I have only been out twice since the modifications and so far no problems.

Old 04-11-2001, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

RW660,
I have to ask, and if Pam reads this I would enjoy hearing your response as well.

Because of some of the troubles with the tranny(2nd gear) and some problems with clutch fade. Have you (RW660) or Powroll(Pam) done any changes to either of these items, as a precaution?

I would think with the added power that the clutch and tranny will now be taking alot of added abuse.

Look forward to hearing from you both. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Report on Powroll Piston & Cam