Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Report on Powroll Piston & Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 03:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if other manfacturers bother to read these forums, but i think its great to know someone does care about what we want and will take the time to answer questions. as soon as i can afford it i know where i,ll be getting my cam and piston kit from. thanks for caring powrollpam.

Old 04-13-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I had also heard about many of the first Raptors blowing 2nd gear during Baja. We were concerned about it, but considered that we should increase power on our test bike, then ride the thing hard to see what happened.

Our initial test quad is currently running with the high comp piston, race cam, heavy duty clutch springs (stock plates), twin FCR carbs, and nitros (running twin #20 jets). We run a micron-moly petroleum oil, straight 40 wt.

I thought it would bust 2nd gear after the first weekend of racing, but it's still going strong after 2 months in it's current form.

Our other 3 test bikes have also not had any problems with tranny or clutch. Nor have I heard from any of our customers (who are running our piston & cam) that they have had tranny or clutch problems.

So far, we've come to the conclusion that all the race quads that we heard of with tranny failures were running synthetic oil. It may be that during the really hot temps and extreme conditions of a race, the synthetic oil thinned out too much to "pad" the gears.

This is just a preliminary observation, but it is something we've also seen in other performance engines, which is why we still run petroleum oils.

Old 04-13-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Pam,

What alternatives do I have if I want to stay away from the use of race gas? What about cutting the piston to reduce some of the compression?

The Raptor has plenty of low end for me, I'd just like to beef up the top end power. Is this possible on the Raptor without getting into race gas?

Also, do you still believe that an aftermarket pipe really doesn't give that much more of an improvement over a stock pipe with baffle out?

How are your non-nitrous Raptors stacking up in comparison to the DS650s and the modded Banshees?

Whatever ?s that you can answer here will be fine. If you're afraid it will turn into advertising, just send me an e-mail to keep the site watch dogs from fussing about advertising.

Thanks Pam!

Old 04-13-2001, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2000 with the powroll 430 kit this thing has killer power it will smoke a 400ex with mods no problems yet

Old 04-14-2001, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Pam,
First of all, ITS GREAT to see you take time out to post here! EVERY time I call even if it's not to order you are SO helpful!! EVERY company should act like POWROLL, my top end is unfortunately at trinity now and I WISH I COULD SAY THEY WERE EVEN POLITE! TAlK about the rudest people I have EVER dealt with! Harry there cussed me out BECAUSE he was having quote a BAD DAY! My motor has been there over a month!

Old 01-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

How is your Raptor doin now with the powroll kit? Was it wortht the money? How do you compare to most bike in a drag stock or modded? I am lookinging into the cam and piston for my Raptor. How much horsepower do you think those two would put out for my bike wich has the HMF full exhaust, Pro flo kit with K&N filter? And does it have alot of power thorugh all ranges or do you lose anywhere? Thanx for your help.

Old 01-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

No problems at all after riding for 6 months on the St. Anthony Dunes. I have the CT air box with a 250R K&N filter. No problems with my transmission! Nobody can tell that I have had motor work unless they get a wiff of the race gas. They just wonder why it climbs so good!!! It will pull Choke Cherry most of the way in third gear. If Pam ever forgives me for calling her at home, I would like to send my engine over for some more modifications.