Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Finally raced a Raptor Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50#'s lighter ?

37 RWHP & 39 RWHP, sure but that is only for one small segment of the overall power curve, lets not forget the areas where the Raptor produces
a lot more than 2 H.P. over the Banshee.

One cannot deny the fact, the Banshee has one of the most narrow power curves in ATV world, where the Raptor has the broadest.

Before one jumps the gun and says "well a 300EX has a broad power curve and it dont smoke no Banshee"

I say this, "within reason, a quad with a broad power curve is quicker and faster than one with a narrow one, despite the 2nd having a greater peak
H.P."

Note I said "WITHIN REASON"

Y2K

That Mobile Dyno has some runs that are way off,
for example the DS 650 Run, it is not close to
the Stock runs in 4Wheel ATV for their project DS
segments and after riding one I can honestly the 4-wheel ATV felt much closer to the truth, esp on the Low-End

Old 04-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

Very True the Banhee has a very very narrow powerband where the Raptor has power everywhere. The Raptor is a much better all around bike but where talking about a drag race here and once I slip the banshee's clutch to get it into the power is doesnt come out of the power so a broad powerband really does nothing in drag racing, in the woods its a completely different story. The new ATV Rider mag has the actuall weight of the Raptor with Oil and gas at 444lbs. The Banshee has a dry weight of 384lbs so I think about 50lbs would be the difference??? Would'nt you agree??

Mac

Old 04-17-2001, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Everybody that is modifying the Raptor on the exhaust side is not going after the biggest restriction.

I raced a piped Raptor at Olds hill and beat him by about 1/4 to 1.2 the hill. He had a Pro Circuit slip on.

If you want the Raptor to perform you need to go after the intake first. Change the exhaust after that.

Old 04-17-2001, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 00Banshee, I live in Manhattan KS. It is good to see a fellow Kansan on the board....hey I was wondering, do you race at all and if so are you going to be racing in Marion in a couple of weeks? Let me know, maybe we can go riding sometime.

Old 04-17-2001, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I watched a bunch of guys dragging this past weekend and my eyes didn't lie to me so I'm glad i was out watching for myself. First there was a 400ex with a Full Yoshi beating a Raptor with a Pro-Circuit slip on, i went over to find out what was up and it turned out to be a 440. They raced a bunch of times and the 440 won every time but the Raptor wasn't far behind and it was a long strip which allowed the quads to get into 5th. THEN some Banshees and r's got into it and it was always a Banshee or an r winning. One r was a 330 and he killed the Raptor, i am not sure what the mods on the Banshee's were since i didn't know these guys but i didn't see the Raptor win anytime. To me it seems the 2 strokes are still the way to go if you want to drag. The guy on the 440 said he can sometimes beat stock Banshee's, i guess none of the Banshee's there that day were stock. I'm just telling what i saw not ranking on anybody's ride.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

Thank You ChrisMac for being civilized.

Sorry but no, just because ATV/Rider/Mag/Sport
says anything dose not mean I believe it.

Esp with G Hansons attitude and the decline of those publications quality.

Maybe ATVrider is not published by that company.

4-wheel ATV Action posted different weights, and in reguard to factors such as weight, turning radius,
ect, they have become the primary source of accurate info.

Either way
to You
A
Very
Great
Day!

Y2K

Old 05-02-2001, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

I sold the Banshee last Tuesday and picked up a Blue Raptor the same day. I'll tell you one thing this Exhaust, 12 tooth sprocket, and Pro Flo air filter setup better wake this thing up as my Banshee killed it one hill climbs. I could just short shift the banshee then slip the clutch and rev 2nd gear up all the way up the hill. The Raptor Bogs up the same hill in 2nd gear, I even slipped the clutch.

Mac

Old 05-03-2001, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm been doing good against the banshee's it's the danged big bore methanal i can't beat, mine is factory other than 12 tooth sprocket. I was playing with everyone in tillamook wa, (sandlake).