Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Finally raced a Raptor Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 07:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Banshee with FMF Fatty's and Powercore II silencers. I raced a Raptor that was piped and jetted also. We raced on a grass field 3 or 4 times all with the same results. I won on the Banshee by 2-4 bike lenghts each time. This guy has had his Raptor since last June and was a good rider. I guess I finally know the truth now as you get some people saying the Raptor Kills the banshee then other say the Banshee Kills the Raptor. My Banshee may be a tad faster but I'd trade it for a Raptor anyday as I love to wheelie and the Banshee isnt that great of a wheelie machine.

Mac

Old 04-16-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say but Raptors were not even out June last year. Also a stock Raptor beats piped Banshees esppecially in grass, so a pipe Raptor would have won with ease unless it wasnt rejetted. What system does the guy You suposebly beat have?

Old 04-16-2001, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

First off I'd rather have a Raptor right know and am Contemplating picking up either a 400ex and doing some mods or splurging and picking up a Raptor as I want a machine with some low end torque. So I was hoping for the Raptor to win but it JUST DIDNT HAPPEN. If this upsets you go cry somewhere else. A Stock Raptor has around 37 RWHP see for youself

http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/d...runs&UID=10017

A Piped and Jetted Banshee has almost 39RWHP and is what 50lbs lighter???

http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/s...book&UID=10010

Am I lying know??? Or are these Dyno readings wrong??? People like you that HAVE NO IDEA what there talking about **** me and others on this Board off so Unless you have some Facts or actually Know what yout talking about keep your mouth or should I say fingers shut.

Mac

Old 04-16-2001, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

You said you raced a piped Raptor. Its people like you that make up lame stories that make everypne mad

Old 04-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

Lame Stories Huh??? I Don't see how this is a Lame story. The Raptor was piped and Jetted. I didnt see what brand he had as I really didn't care. The reason why I know it was piped and jetted is the owner told me he just had the work done last week and has been riding everyday since. He also stated it made a HUGE difference. You can believe whatever you'd like but I know what happened today and dyno readings that where taken on the Same dyno don't lie!! So your satement that *Stock Raptors* beat piped banshee's isnt worth Jack SH**.

Mac

Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

I usually don't ge involved in these little disputes but....there is no way a Raptor can out drag my piped and slightly modified Banshee. I will be down at Little Sahara OK this Saturday and would love to race a Raptor or two. Whenever I am down there the Banshees always race each other and the Raptors and 400exs are racing each other. I am not bashing the Raptors or 400s, because I truly like any quad. I have just read alot of posts stating that a stock Raptor can out run a piped Banshee and I have yet to witness it. Just my .02....

Old 04-17-2001, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still sticking to my story that there are too many factors involved in these drag races everyone always has. Is every piped and jetted Raptor the same? No. Is every piped and jetted banshee the same? A bigger NO. And also different riders make a big difference too, partially with the Raptor being tough to keep the front end down, and especially with everyone putting these 12 tooth sprockets on them. And from the other side of it... Race a piped banshee on loose gravel against a Raptor, then race it on hard packed dirt/grass, see what happens..

Old 04-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with ChrisMac I own a raptor and it is somewhat fast but on top end a banshee will beat it for sure no doubt! They are pretty close down low when the banshee hooks up which with proper clutch and throttle controll it will but on top the banshee will eventually stretch the raptor out! To be honest I could care less which quad is faster because I am not into drag racing, just racing xc and without some mods on either of these quads they both are not to good for xc racing. Stock for stock a 400ex or 250r is better for racing but with the right mods a raptor or banshee can be made a great RACE quad. Both are good machines when it comes down to it and everyone gets kind of bent when someone says that this quad is faster than that quad when in reality it comes down to the rider and everone should be happy with what they like and if someone comes and says I beat a raptor or I beat a banshee then so be it, good job if thats what makes you happy! How often does anyone top out any quad on track and etc, races are won in turns and not straight aways unless drag racing.

Old 04-17-2001, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well said, Xtreme165. I beat two shee's the other night on my wifes warrior. They were piped and jetted and had rockets stuck up their a$$e$. Took em out in the corner.

Old 04-17-2001, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

I raced my banshee against my brothers raptor, which is piped and has a 12 tooth in the front, and my banshee has a 13 tooth, and piped and filter, and i milled the head and new reeds, that stuff. My banshee was jetted to rich, so it wasn't running up to par, but i beat him up short hills starting at teh base, up long hills, and it flat drag race, most of this was in the sand. but i would take the raptor over the banshee anyday, banshee handle's like ****, the suspension is almost shot, (front shocks don't hardly rebound anymore) and the banshee is eitherh all the way revved out and going, or your lugging the motor. i spent some time on the raptor, and you can rev it out more than i thought you could, but you dont even need to. it will pull you out of anything. and it climbed every hill i pulled on the banshee (well almost, coudln't climb one of them) but you get the point. stock raptor or a raptor with pipe and jet, whatever, isn't going to beat a tuned banshee, its just not gunna happen, so all you who say it can are just talking cow****, but i can see a raptor beating a banshee in the woods, on a motocross track, anywhere that ins't a straight out drag race. thats probably why i wanna sell the banshee and get a raptor, the fact is the raptor is an "all-around" better machine.

Quick Reply: Finally raced a Raptor Today