Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cold starting Kodiak 700 EPS

Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold starting Kodiak 700 EPS

Was -25 celius (-13F) this morning, both of my 2017 Kodiak 700EPS had trouble starting. They both have only about 200km on them (30 or so hours). Ended up getting one of the two going eventually but the other one I've had no luck with. They've been running 20 of last 27 days so it's not like it's been sottins with old fuel.

After few tries the second one started making a strange noise (see video: http://tinypic.com/r/33ticgl/9 ; noise is coming from Part circled in image: http://tinypic.com/r/t00spw/9)

Battery seems just about out of juice after trying (grips,lights etc. are off)- Ill stick a charger on it tonight. But the noise is what concerns me, what is that part and should I be concerned?

Also any suggestions on how to get the one running and starting both better when its this cold? I use them for work and simply not riding when it's cold isn't really an option.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ABsurveyor
Was -25 celius (-13F) this morning, both of my 2017 Kodiak 700EPS had trouble starting. They both have only about 200km on them (30 or so hours). Ended up getting one of the two going eventually but the other one I've had no luck with. They've been running 20 of last 27 days so it's not like it's been sottins with old fuel.

After few tries the second one started making a strange noise (see video: http://tinypic.com/r/33ticgl/9 ; noise is coming from Part circled in image: http://tinypic.com/r/t00spw/9)

Battery seems just about out of juice after trying (grips,lights etc. are off)- Ill stick a charger on it tonight. But the noise is what concerns me, what is that part and should I be concerned?

Also any suggestions on how to get the one running and starting both better when its this cold? I use them for work and simply not riding when it's cold isn't really an option.

Thanks!
Missed it first time thru the owners manual but it looks like that's the fuse forbthf fuel injection system, spare in there. Now if only I can get them out in the cold to swap them!

Any advice on the cold starts would still be helpful.

Cheers!

Old 02-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ABsurveyor
Missed it first time thru the owners manual but it looks like that's the fuse for the fuel injection system, spare in there. Now if only I can get them out in the cold to swap them!

Any advice on the cold starts would still be helpful.

Cheers!
Fuse still looked fine but swapped them just in case. Still makes the same noise though and can't get it going whatsoever. Supposed to warm up tomorrow, and I'll recharge yhe battery tonight but I'm still looking for a solution.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Can't get your Tinypic link to work, but if you are getting a buzzing noise, a relay is clicking in and out, usually because the battery is flat. We don't get temps as low as that here, but I would have thought Yamaha would test their EFI systems in very low temperatures to make sure they work in all conditions. May be best to take them to the dealer as they should still be under warranty. Or at least give them a phone call and ask if they know of any reason why temperatures would affect them like this.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

What weight oil are you using in these temps? In the summer I run 20/50 but winter I run 10/40 yamalube

Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jered651
What weight oil are you using in these temps? In the summer I run 20/50 but winter I run 10/40 yamalube
Using 10W/40. Next winter I might go down to something lighter. To help with the really cold mornings. Would just have to make sure I change itbefoit spring.

Yamaha dealer also suggested that an inline coolant heater might be a good idea. Only problem with that I can see is if I drive into the bush somewhere and let it sit, might be too cold to astar on the way out.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Did this problem exist before at all? I couldn't watch your video but anything at -13 temps will start hard