Cold starting Kodiak 700 EPS - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community



Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Default Cold starting Kodiak 700 EPS

Was -25 celius (-13F) this morning, both of my 2017 Kodiak 700EPS had trouble starting. They both have only about 200km on them (30 or so hours). Ended up getting one of the two going eventually but the other one I've had no luck with. They've been running 20 of last 27 days so it's not like it's been sottins with old fuel.

After few tries the second one started making a strange noise (see video: http://tinypic.com/r/33ticgl/9 ; noise is coming from Part circled in image: http://tinypic.com/r/t00spw/9)

Battery seems just about out of juice after trying (grips,lights etc. are off)- Ill stick a charger on it tonight. But the noise is what concerns me, what is that part and should I be concerned?

Also any suggestions on how to get the one running and starting both better when its this cold? I use them for work and simply not riding when it's cold isn't really an option.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABsurveyor View Post
Was -25 celius (-13F) this morning, both of my 2017 Kodiak 700EPS had trouble starting. They both have only about 200km on them (30 or so hours). Ended up getting one of the two going eventually but the other one I've had no luck with. They've been running 20 of last 27 days so it's not like it's been sottins with old fuel.

After few tries the second one started making a strange noise (see video: http://tinypic.com/r/33ticgl/9 ; noise is coming from Part circled in image: http://tinypic.com/r/t00spw/9)

Battery seems just about out of juice after trying (grips,lights etc. are off)- Ill stick a charger on it tonight. But the noise is what concerns me, what is that part and should I be concerned?

Also any suggestions on how to get the one running and starting both better when its this cold? I use them for work and simply not riding when it's cold isn't really an option.

Thanks!
Missed it first time thru the owners manual but it looks like that's the fuse forbthf fuel injection system, spare in there. Now if only I can get them out in the cold to swap them!

Any advice on the cold starts would still be helpful.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABsurveyor View Post
Missed it first time thru the owners manual but it looks like that's the fuse for the fuel injection system, spare in there. Now if only I can get them out in the cold to swap them!

Any advice on the cold starts would still be helpful.

Cheers!
Fuse still looked fine but swapped them just in case. Still makes the same noise though and can't get it going whatsoever. Supposed to warm up tomorrow, and I'll recharge yhe battery tonight but I'm still looking for a solution.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lancaster England
Posts: 3,036
Default

Can't get your Tinypic link to work, but if you are getting a buzzing noise, a relay is clicking in and out, usually because the battery is flat. We don't get temps as low as that here, but I would have thought Yamaha would test their EFI systems in very low temperatures to make sure they work in all conditions. May be best to take them to the dealer as they should still be under warranty. Or at least give them a phone call and ask if they know of any reason why temperatures would affect them like this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Range Rover
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 140
Default

What weight oil are you using in these temps? In the summer I run 20/50 but winter I run 10/40 yamalube
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered651 View Post
What weight oil are you using in these temps? In the summer I run 20/50 but winter I run 10/40 yamalube
Using 10W/40. Next winter I might go down to something lighter. To help with the really cold mornings. Would just have to make sure I change itbefoit spring.

Yamaha dealer also suggested that an inline coolant heater might be a good idea. Only problem with that I can see is if I drive into the bush somewhere and let it sit, might be too cold to astar on the way out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Range Rover
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 140
Default

Did this problem exist before at all? I couldn't watch your video but anything at -13 temps will start hard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Polaris 850XP EPS & 550XP EPS Ruggo Classifieds, Garage Sale & Swap Shop 0 07-13-2010 09:45 AM
210 550 EPS: Intermittent EPS light seismic_pirate Polaris 2 06-12-2010 12:18 AM
850 XP. EPS or not EPS, that is the question? TheATVSuperStore.com Polaris 46 10-06-2009 05:18 PM
Xp 850 eps vs grizzly 700 eps terb Yamaha 4 09-29-2009 10:35 PM
Cold Cold Cold!!!!! shastadog Yamaha 35 01-26-2004 09:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: