Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bear tracker problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear tracker problems

Hi guys, recently picked up a pair of yamaha bear tracker both of them not running. The one I am working on right now is a 2001 I beileve. Was told by the PO that the cdi was bad but im not taking his word for it, I read somewhere else that if one of these machines gets welded on its common for the stator to go bad. So tried to test the stator but in getting absolutely no reading from it, pulled it off the bike to see if there was any obviously broken or burned up wires but everything looks ok. Tried using 2 different multimeters but no change. If anybody has any tips or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-16-2018, 03:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Depends on what you tested on the stator. I can't see welding hurting the stator, as it is just coiled wire. I have heard of problems with electronic components like regulators and CDIs after welding, but have done quite a lot on Quads and never had any problems myself. Fairly sure the Beartracker has three separate sets of coils, a multiple set for charging the battery, a single coil "exciter" providing AC power to the CDI and a "trigger" coil outside the flywheel, giving a timing signal to the CDI. The charging coils don't affect the ignition, so the bike will run with faulty ones, but the exciter needs to be producing power, as does the trigger.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried testing both the stator and the coil that is with it and I get nothing from either. From my many Google searches I understand that both components are necessary for the ignition system. Would it be possible for just the connector to somehow gone bad since I can't get a ohm reading off the stator and coil? (Both go to the same plug)

Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Decided to test the coil and stator on the other bear tracker I have, got 210 ohms from the coil and 0 from stator. Not sure what the specs are for the stator cus I didn't see anything about it in the manual but im going to go ahead and see what happens if I swap them

Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got the stator and coil swapped over, now I'm wondering if there is any way to change my cdi with 8 wires (~100$) to a cdi with 7 wires (~20)? Previous owner cut the wires of the cdi and it may be too close to be able to splice back together.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

dont try splicing i have a beartracker and a 2007 big bear same engine and components had same issues change the starter clutch while you are in there ,, the stator w the new pick up coil its easy to do ,,, check ebay for good prices on these parts ,, there are reputable dealers there that sell good parts on there dont get used get new if you can afford once you do youll see a difference a few hundred bucks goes a long way dont rack your brain

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

i have a cdi for that bike will sell cheap in fact going to list it on here next day or 2 maybe today later .... came from working beartracker original yamaha part went to ricks cdi ..... get with me you can text or cal 865-719-4515 can sell paypal to you