Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Will someone explain adjusting the shocks to me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a Raptor. I mainly ride dunes. I read about preload, compression dampening, etc., but I have no clue what these mean. Can someone explain these to me. What does a softer or stiffer setting do? When would you go to a softer or stiffer setting?

Thanks,

Steven

Old 04-24-2001, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

Preload refers to how much tension is on the spring when the shock is in the fully extended position. The more you shorten the spring with the collars at the top, the more preload you have. Preload makes the suspension stiffer. Compression dampening dampens the downward movement of the suspension like when landing from a jump. If you have a bottoming problem, you can usually increase the compression dampening some until it stops. You may also have to increase the preload a little too if it is severe. Rebound dampening referes to how fast the suspension will recover from a compressed state. Too little and your ATV will tend kick up in the rear in the whoops. Too much rebound dampening will cause the suspension to "pack up" through long rythmn sections which severely limits the travel. Thats just a brief overview. The best thing to do is just experiment and find what works best for you and your style of riding. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2001, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

RaptorZone,
Any suggestions to my dilema?
I need some advise from you who have properly adjusted your rear suspension on a Raptor. Mine is stock, and it seems like on whoops and bumps it really pitches me up a lot. I have riden on two other Banshee's that seem to absorb the small bumps and bigger dips with less body kick than my Raptor. On my bike, I need to stand up on the bumps, or get abused,... while the Banshee riders( both less and more than I weigh) ride on the seat all the time, with less body motion. The suspension just absorbs the bump.
I assumed the rear spring was set to stiff, so I adjusted it softer, by lengthening the spring about 1/2 to 3/4" ( and I have the fronts on softest setting)and reduced the compression damping by 2 clicks, and increased the rebound damping by 2 clicks. Oh yea, I'm 6'4" tall and 220 lbs. What direction should I go?
Any suggestions would be appriciated.