Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of power

I have a 1997 Yamaha Wovlerine 350 4x4 with 24 inch tires on it that doesn't seem to have the power it should. I checked the pickup coil wires and they check out. It runs and idles good but lacks power, it will accelerate decent but not like expected and will not spin at all on dirt on a take off. I'm lucky to get 35 to 40 mph top speed and it takes a long stretch to get there. On hills I need to downshift to 4th gear and on the slightest incline 5th is useless, The clutch isn't slipping because it isn't revving up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I thought someone who knows the Wolverine may jump in here but as nobody has... In general the first thing is a good service. New plug, valve clearances set etc. Whilst you are doing the valves, check the timing, a tooth or two out and it will probably run, just not quite right. If you get no improvement with that, clean the carb out, no need for new jets etc just a clean. Finally if it is still down for power, check compression, less than 90psi and it is time to check rings and bore for wear and a valve grind.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure.
Did the quad run fine for you in the past?

Excuse me for hitting some basic points but I dont know your history with this machine or experience troubleshooting.
If there is a throttle stop bolt make sure you have full range of lever movement.
Make sure air filter isnt too dirty.
Make sure ithe oil level isnt too high.
Ensure fuel is good.
Make sure a brake isnt dragging.

Larger tires will cause loss of performance.
Heavier tires willl cause loss of performance.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the bike this spring so the issue has been there since I bought it. I've had a few bugs to work out and the performance has steadily improved. The compression is good, in first gear it will hold a crawl going down a steep incline. The carb has been cleaned, oil changed and at the correct level and the brakes are working good with none sticking on. I am starting to wonder if I just expect too much from the little 350, is it normal to have to downshift a wolverine on steeper hills to make it up them? In 4th it will rev out but in 5th it may make it up depending on the size and length of the hill.