Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak 400 (help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Kodiak 400 (help)

I bought a Kodiak 400 Ultramatic and it has a couple of issues that i'm not sure the cause of

1: after it warms up it dies (i'm pretty sure this is the carburetor)

2: when you press the electric start button, there seems to be a grinding sound, i think this is the transmission because it never happens when it is put in park before you shut it off, and start it in park, which is another issue, it doesnt seem to like to go into park while the motor is running

3: sometimes when you try to put it from park into high, or reverse, there's a grinding sound and it wont go, so you have to put it into low and it will jerk real hard then you can put it in whatever you want

4 (last one) the radiator fan has never come on, i don't know if the fan itself is broken or if its the thermostat

Thanks for helping!

Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

1 Check if the fuel cap vent is blocked, undo the cap when the fault is on, a sucking sound and instant re-start indicates a blocked tank vent. If that is OK, take pipe off carb, open fuel tap and see if you get a full flow of fuel. If not, clean the filters out in the tap. If that is OK, clean the carb out. The fault is as likely to be electrical though, plug, coil, CDI or stator breaking down when hot, try a new plug first, can't hurt.
2 I would guess your gear lever and the lever on the gearbox are not set right. The link between them is adjustable.
3 Seems like your idle speed is set too high, lower it to as slow as it will go without stalling.
4 Not sure if the sender unit is one wire or two on Kodiaks, if one wire, remove and short to earth with ignition on, and see if the fan runs, if two wires, jump them together. If the fan doesn't work, check it's fuse, if it does, either the sender unit is faulty or you haven't got it hot enough to come on yet. You can test them in hot water.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
1 Check if the fuel cap vent is blocked, undo the cap when the fault is on, a sucking sound and instant re-start indicates a blocked tank vent. If that is OK, take pipe off carb, open fuel tap and see if you get a full flow of fuel. If not, clean the filters out in the tap. If that is OK, clean the carb out. The fault is as likely to be electrical though, plug, coil, CDI or stator breaking down when hot, try a new plug first, can't hurt.
2 I would guess your gear lever and the lever on the gearbox are not set right. The link between them is adjustable.
3 Seems like your idle speed is set too high, lower it to as slow as it will go without stalling.
4 Not sure if the sender unit is one wire or two on Kodiaks, if one wire, remove and short to earth with ignition on, and see if the fan runs, if two wires, jump them together. If the fan doesn't work, check it's fuse, if it does, either the sender unit is faulty or you haven't got it hot enough to come on yet. You can test them in hot water.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for such a late response, a lot of personal things happened after this thread so i didnt have any time to work on the atv.

The fuel cap vent is not blocked, cleaned the tap, and carb filters, lowered idle.
more important stuff:
regarding the fan: The wires for one of the thermo switches was gone and that may be why the fan hasnt come on.

I pulled the spark plug, was covered in oil, put a new one in, let idle for about 5 minutes then it shut off, i let the machine cool off then i pulled the spark plug again, it was covered in oil again, i haven't really investigated any further as im not very knowledgeable when it come to engines.