Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak 400 Electrical problems...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Kodiak 400 Electrical problems...

Hoping to get some technical assistance. I'm working on an older Kodiak 400 that won't try to start. I'm pretty good electrically and have dug in pretty deep using the service manual I obtained from the forum. The wiring diagram seems to match exactly what is on the machine, so I'm pretty confident it's the right one. My brother owns the ATV and brought it to me after it blew the 10A ignition fuse. He had ordered a new CDI as he determined (I don't know how). I put the new CDI in and it still doesn't try to start. The fuse is now good, and everything I've checked looks fine. The CDI controller won't enable the starting circuit cut-off relay. If I ground the wire from the CDI to the relay, then the ATV will turn over. It still doesn't run, but I'm not sure if the CDI isn't enabling the ignition coil, but that's secondary at this point. I can't figure out why it won't enable the starter.
I have ohm'd the pick-up coil and stator coils to the service manual spec
I've checked the start switch and engine stop switch
I've checked all of the start safeties, brake switch, neutral switch, reverse and park switches
I've checked the 2 diodes
I've ohm'd the ignition coil and checked the ground
I've checked all of the wires that go to ground to assure they have good continuity
I even ordered another CDI and installed it just to make sure we didn't get a bad one....

Still no go

Anyone see this before, or know a sure-fire way to test the CDI controller?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

Hold hard, I just priced a CDI up for a 1999 Grizzly I was working on, and it was over $300. You seem to be using them like sweets. Firstly you haven't mentioned checking for a spark at the plug. The CDI has little to do with the starter circuit. Yes, on Yams there is a wire from starter lock-out circuit to CDI but the fault is far more likely to be in the lock-out circuit than CDI. I recall on the Grizzly the manual gave a good breakdown of this circuit, so you could test it out from both sides of CDI.