Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Thermo switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Thermo switch Wiring

Another day on the rebuild and another issue. This time it is wiring. I noticed as I was flushing the radiator today a wire that was cut coming from the thermo switch on the radiator. I then noticed another cut wire on the plug that goes up to the dash. The black and red wire is connected into the harness and looks like it should, now the other wire coming out of switch is blue but the cut wire coming from the harness is black. Not quite sure if they should be spliced together or if these wires are meant for something else? I thought that maybe this was an aftermarket plug but the black and red wire is throwing me off since it looks original. Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the specific year and model Kodiak? Helps for those responding.

I have now had a couple Grizzly bikes and do not recall ever seeing a connector similar to that blue connector. That is not an absolute the blue connector is OEM or not, but kind of a bit weird. It may be aftermarket. Does your radiator fan even work? I would be suspicious that someone cut the wiring from the thermo sensor to keep a constantly running fan from running or they put a switch in-line to shut the fan down. You probably want to look into that a bit more to know for sure.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the response Red. i figured it out this morning after looking at it some more and then noticing that the one wire went up to the left headlight wire. I guess the guy who i got it from wired it into the headlight so he could turn it on anytime he wanted or so he could have it running all the time. I was able to repair all the wires and they match up so i am confident that it is correct now. I tested the fan and luckily that worked fine too. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad you figured it all out. Doing a project myself on a Kodiak and took a look today to see if my wiring was similar enough to find you an answer but mine is a 2003 and those wires are different.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate the effort!!