Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear 400 Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear 400 Carb problems

History - I have a Big Bear 400 that I bought used about 15 years ago. It was originally a 2003. When I got it, it ran rough and I discovered it was completely missing one of the needles. After replacing the needle and adjusting it (with the online assistance/advice/guidance of some kind individuals), it ran great for several years. I don't recall the specific advice, but I do recall adjusting needles/jets for both high and low. Unknown to me, the lock nut for the exhaust valve had come off and found its way down into the crank case. At one point, while out in the middle of a muddy field, that nut found it's way up into the cylinder causing catastrophic damage. I had the engine replaced with a used one from a 2006, and it ran great for several more years. After sitting for almost a year, it was running pretty rough. I picked up a cheap carb as well as a rebuild kit. My plan was to install the cheap carb to get it running again, then clean and rebuild the original to have it ready for the next time (the ATV doesn't get used much any more). I was never able to get the cheap carb set up correctly. I always had to run it with the idle turned up an the choke on. I ran it a few times and parked it until I could get back to it. This was over 2 years ago.

Current Problems
I was never able to get the new/cheap carb adjusted correctly. Where the choke cable attaches, I'm not sure how far to to screw the coupling onto the shaft. Therefore, up on the handle, I'm not sure when the choke is actually on or off. Can anyone give advice on how to get the choke connected and set correctly down at the carburetor?

Can anyone provide guidance on how to correctly set the carb up once its installed? While I'm pretty certain that I had both High and Low jets to adjust on the original 2003 carb, the 2006 carb and the cheap carb do not look familiar at all. I'm not certain that both adjustments are available on this carb, or how to get it set up correctly.

Thanks for any advice!