Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 Yamaha Bruin YFM350A ATV Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Yamaha Bruin YFM350A ATV Starting Issue

Hi everyone, good morning...

2006 Yamaha Bruin YFM350A ATV neutral light does not light on dashboard and only starts when you jump the solenoid. I had spare solenoids so I tried it with three different NEW ones and get the same thing.

I also checked the fuse block and the three fuses that are in there are good. Key switch is new as well. I did not test to see if I could jump solenoid with switch off and have it start. Guess I should have or maybe it just simply means that when the switch is on and you can start it with solenoid that the switch is good. I'll check that later.

Update: only starts in neutral and only then by jumping solenoid.

Oh yea... When you push the start button, NOTHING happens. It's like there is no battery in it at all. Especially since the neutral light does not come on.

Any thoughts anyone? What can I try?

Thank you guys/gals,
John

Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

You are not supposed to be able to start the bike unless the neutral light is on. I think you can "fool it" by having the parking brake on instead, but not sure of that. Anyway Yamaha have the most stupidly over complex lock out system to stop the starter working when not in neutral, of any bike I know, so finding a fault in that system requires a good motorcycle/ATV electrician, and the wiring diagram.

Just a thought, do headlamps, horn etc, work with engine stoped and ignition on? If they don't, you have connected the solenoids backwards, big binding posts have M for starter motor and B for battery next to them.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did not test horn, lights but solenoid is wired correctly.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a newly acquired bike? Or is it one that you've had for a while and it just started randomly doing this?

Done any work to it recently? Make sure that both of the shift sensors are plugged in on top of the case (the black and red connectors), right behind the starter and just in front of the shift lever (which is removed in the pictures below). If the neutral one is unplugged, the bike will not know when it's un neutral, the light will not kick on, and it will not allow you to use the push button start.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks thall...

Had it for two years.
No recent work. Working one day and then, not.
Black and red connectors plugged in.
Neutral lamp not coming on when key switch is on and unit is out of gear. Wires are plugged in.

How would I test the Sky Blue neutral system wire? I found it at the lamp, CDI and switch. (behind starter)

Thank you again thall,
John

PS - Bruin has no horn or lights. I was going to replace them but never did. Later today I may get my volt meter and test for voltage at front light sockets.