Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha wolverine will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha wolverine will not start

I have a 99 Yamaha wolverine 350 4x4. Been having issues with it since summer. The neutral light doesn't turn on (yes it's in neutral) so it won't turn over or start. We've replaced the battery twice, replaced the starter relay, replaced starter, replaced key switch, and lastly the voltage regulator. The spark plug is good. We have a winch hooked up, which is connected to the key switch works with no problem. Sometimes when using the winch the neutral light will come on, but but goes back out when trying to start it. I just don't know what else it could be. Only thing we haven't replaced is cdi box because I don't have $130-180 to buy one especially not knowing if that's the problem. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-09-2018, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Surely the most likely thing is either a faulty switch for the neutral light or faulty wiring from it to either the light or solenoid. It was never going to be any of the stuff you have spent money on. Some bikes have a relay in this circuit (as well as the solenoid) and some have a diode too, so the circuit can be complex, but the fault is in there somewhere.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider

Bottom left side of motor check your neutral wire its a probe that goes into the block and a wire hooks onto it. see if that is plugged in. have you crossed the posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if itll start that way? If it starts by crossing them posts youll need a new solenoid. Also check the fuse usually under left rear fender

Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"If it starts by crossing them posts youll need a new solenoid."
She has already changed it and, if power isn't getting to the thin wires on the solenoid because the neutral light circuit is faulty, the solenoid won't click in. All that shorting the heavy wires does is check if the starter motor is working.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. Finally figured out the power issue, the ground cable for the battery needed to be cleaned on both ends so now the neutral light comes on no problem. But, now it won't turn over at all. When you hit the start button the oil temp light comes on. Any ideas? It has fresh oil.. mine and my husband's brains literally hurt from trying to figure this out lol. Thanks for any input!!