Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Top speed 18mph big bear 350 1995

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top speed 18mph big bear 350 1995

Title says it! 1995 big bear 350. Got it not running at all, the stator was bad, among other things. I've gotten Damm near everything ready on it, but when I drive it, I can't get above 18mph. I press the accelerator all the way down and it takes its time getting to speed, then I can't get any faster. This started happening randomly after getting home one night. It doesn't seem to be bogging out, it just won't go any faster. New carb, new intake boot, filter is clean, I'm starting to lean toward a ignition problem, was wondering what you guys have to say, maybe cdi box? I took off the black wire to the CDI box(which I has seen was the rev limitor) and had no change in anything.i can take photos if anyone needs anything! Maybe even a video could help.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 328 Likes on 319 Posts

First thing is to check the plug, a white nose is weak, black and sooty rich or burning oil. Change the plug anyway. If that doesn't fix it or the air/fuel mix is well out, strip and clean the carb, yes it is new, but a speck of swarf or dirt from manufacture or storage could have got in, or some other fault may show up on a stripdown. If it isn't a carb problem, check compression, it could be wear, or just the valve clearances needing setting.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
First thing is to check the plug, a white nose is weak, black and sooty rich or burning oil. Change the plug anyway. If that doesn't fix it or the air/fuel mix is well out, strip and clean the carb, yes it is new, but a speck of swarf or dirt from manufacture or storage could have got in, or some other fault may show up on a stripdown. If it isn't a carb problem, check compression, it could be wear, or just the valve clearances needing setting.
Hey thanks for the quick reply! So I'm leaning at compression being bad, it needs the head rebuilt. I see someone broke a bolt under the timing change cover, and i can see smoke coming from somewhere in there. It originally been leaking a ton of oil due to the head bolts being loose, so if that doesn't paint a picture that someone tried and failed. While searching for the leak originally, I took the head off and saw RTV on the head gasket, which I'm not sure if correct but it was worn as well. Could low compression not allow me to run at full speed?

Old 07-07-2023, 02:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"Could low compression not allow me to run at full speed?"

Usually makes them really bad to start, but it will cut power down too. Not often low compression is a head problem, though your gasket may be blown if it has been bodged. Check bore and rings for wear, once the head is off it is little extra work to take the cylinder off as well. Head gaskets should be changed if you take the head off anyway, modern gaskets are single use only.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

"Could low compression not allow me to run at full speed?"

Usually makes them really bad to start, but it will cut power down too. Not often low compression is a head problem, though your gasket may be blown if it has been bodged. Check bore and rings for wear, once the head is off it is little extra work to take the cylinder off as well. Head gaskets should be changed if you take the head off anyway, modern gaskets are single use only.
hey! I'll be checking the compression for fun tonight and cleaning out electrical connections and grounds, and doing the sparkplug. I'll get back to you guys when I've tested it. Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-07-2023, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, compression tester didn't fit but it blows me finger off, so not to worried about that. I just cleaned every ground and connection with spray and sand paper. I took a few videos I can try to upload. I see that it goes higher rpm when I choke it. Spark plug is new. 21mph is now the speed to beat. Spark seems to not be strong when I watched it arch off the exhuast

Old 07-08-2023, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If it runs better on choke that would indicate a weak mixture, did you check plug nose colour? As I wrote above, change the plug anyway, a new one does not mean a good one. Clean the carb out, it only takes a tiny piece of dirt to partly block a jet.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

If it runs better on choke that would indicate a weak mixture, did you check plug nose colour? As I wrote above, change the plug anyway, a new one does not mean a good one. Clean the carb out, it only takes a tiny piece of dirt to partly block a jet.
I replaced the spark plug with a new one. I will take the carb apart and clean it up, pulling the choke got me to accelerate faster but still not able to get past 20 mph. I'll send a picture of the plug nose color, it did seem off on the old one, it was a tan white. Another thing I did notice after doing some Re search. My carb doesn't have the main jet washer. The plastic piece in the carb, could that be stopping me from getting fuel?

Old 07-09-2023, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It must be 12 years since I worked on a Big Bear carb so not sure what you mean. If it is a genuine carb and missing a part, this may be your problem. Aftermarket stuff does not always use exactly the same parts, so a particular washer may have been deleted. Personally, I only fit new carbs if the old one has a serious fault, like a badly worn slide. If your old carb is recoverable, I would be cleaning it out and re-fitting it.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish the old one was recoverable, but it was a after market when I got it. After trying last night, my door on the inside doesn't open up in the new carb. So I went back to the old carb, it doesn't run like new, but I think I found my problem. This is the 3rd bad carb I've gotten. I'm in alaska so it takes forever to get parts. Thanks for all the help guys, I let my mind go nuts and you guys brought me back to the basics.

Quick Reply: Top speed 18mph big bear 350 1995