Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Seat hitting me in the arse!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to adjustable rear suspension, so bear with me. When going over bumps at slow to moderate speeds my Raptors' seat bounces back up and hits my butt a lot. What adjustment do I have to play with to help decrease this?

If anyone has time to re-cap all the suspension adjustments...be my guest!

Old 05-07-2001, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Merry Christmas:

Preload Adjustment

By turning the large nut at the bottom of the spring you can adjust the springs tension to suit your body weight. To properly make this adjustment you will need to .measure the "ride height sag"....
REAR SHOCK
1) lift the rear wheels up off the ground.
2) With the wheels off the ground, measure the distance from the top center of the rear axle to some point straight above it on the ATVs frame. Write this dimension down.
3) With all your riding gear on plop your butt on the seat with your feet on the pegs in your normal riding position. Then have somone measure the distance again in the same place as the first measurment. The difference between the 2 measurments is called the "ride height sag".
4) Adjust your preload so that your "ride height sag" is about 30% of your total suspension travel. Example: If you have 9" of total travel you should have about 3" of ride height sag.
FRONT SHOCK
Use the same procedure EXCEPT your "ride height sag" should be about 20% of your total shock travel.
--------------------------------------------------
Compression Adjustment

Adjusting the compression of the shock determines how fast the shock "compresses" together. This adjustment should be made according to the type of riding you plan on doing. The real trick here is set the suspension at the point where you use all the travel of the shock without bottoming out hard .
With the setting too soft the suspension will feel "mushy" and you feel like it's "floating".
With the setting too hard, You'll feel every little bump you hit because the shock isn't absorbing the bumps like it should.
You can start by setting the compression at full soft. Ride the ATV for a short while .Then begin to ride over small bumps. Begin to adjust the shocks to absorb the bumps without feeling mushy. As you adjust the compression on the shocks, gradually begin moving up to bigger bumps and jumps. Every time you progress to larger jumps amd bumps readjust the shocks. Keep doing this untill you reach the point where you have reached YOUR personal limit of bumps or jumping safely while using all the travel in the shocks. (It's even ok if you allow the shocks to bottom out "slightly" as you land your largest jump)
Rebound

The rebound adjustment is the setting that determines how fast the shock returns to its normal position.
Setting the rebound at full soft allows the shock to return to full extension more quickly. At this setting the ATV may begin to experience a pogo effect. As the rider speeds over bumps, a shock that returns too quickly may rebound right back up and smack you right in the Butt,sending you right over the handle bars.
Setting the rebound at full hard slows the return of the shock to it's normal position. At this setting as a rider speeds over bumps the shocks may not return to position fast enough causing the shocks "pack up". The more the shocks "pack up" The less travel they have untill they have a chance to return to their normal position.
The best way to set the rebound on your shocks is to find a set of"whoops". A series of rolling hills two feet high and six feet apart.
With the setting at full soft, ride through the whoops at a slow pace at first . Then each time you ride through the whoops go through a little faster adjusting the rebound untill you reach your fastest comfortable speed and the ATV is returning to its correct position without bucking you off.
The MOST important thing to remember is...........ONLY MAKE ONE CHANGE AT A TIME !!!!! Doing one change at a time will allow you to get a better feel for how your suspension is responding to the changes. Making more than one change at a time will just confuse you because you won't know which change made a desired or undesired effect. Tuning in your suspension to suit your needs will make you a much happier camper.

I got this off of www.off-road.com magazine(DON'T SUE ME!!)

Old 05-07-2001, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the precise info! I am going to print it up right away...

Old 05-07-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

No problem.

Old 05-07-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Your legs are too short! Or you're not standing up enough...

Old 05-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

the rebound adjustment is the one that you should be looking at first. At least for the problem that you are having. after you get into riding it a little you can play around with the other adjustments.

Old 05-13-2001, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Zorro !

Old 05-14-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

It's amazing what 3 clicks on the adjustment make! It is much better now.

Thanks guys.

Zorro...I have an appointment to get my legs stretched tomorrow.