Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How much faster does a Raptor need to be to beat....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much faster does a Raptor need to be to beat a stock LT500 in a drag in a good traction area. Lets say a long drag where both can get up to top speed. From my mods listed below, how close do u think it would be? I know alot has to do with the rider and what not, but I'm just looking for educated guesses here. Thanks

Old 05-09-2001, 02:25 AM
Range Rover

Not much, my friend has a realy nice lt. and he beats me 7 of 10 in the sand. A little more respiration, and stiction and I believe they would be really close. I think you would do better with a 12 tooth sprocket, and hit the rev limiter.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

A guy I ride with has a modified Raptor (much like yours) with hauler's. I have a modified 500 with Skate's (v-shaped paddles). When we race on sand he always takes me on the start-no question about that. After 50 feet though the race is over. I'm shifting into 3rd walking away from him.

This doesn't really answer your question though. Your question was how fast does your raptor have to be to beat a stock 500. Mine isn't stock, but its close. I don't think it would take too much work to beat a stock 500.

Its probably time for you to get a different cam and bump up compression a bit. You will gain a noticeable difference then.

Old 05-09-2001, 02:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

From my experience some LT500's run about the same as the LT250's and some are absolutely awesome.
If you run across a stock one that is dialed in perfect, I don't think bolt-on's will get you by him.

Old 05-09-2001, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Your probaly gonna need about 5-10 mph more out of it to be certain. What mods will get you there I don't think bolt-ons will do without a little engine work.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

to beat an lt500 you will need a cr500 motor in your raptor. 500cc two stroke is hard to beat. you would have to change your gear ratio run racing fuel, one of the turbocharges would probably help. by the time you can beat a lt500 in perfect running order, you will have spent enough money to buy another raptor.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Im gonna give you some first hand info on this one. I owned a 90 LT 500 and I presently own a Raptor.in the dirt the Raptor will hook up and get the holeshot on the LT, but by the time the LT gets moving it will be your a** by 3rd gear.Stock Lts run close to 80mph.But on asphalt where the LT can hook up it will make a Raptor look like a toy.Some people who have just got into quads do not realize how strong the old Quadzillas were.Im guessing that every bolt on avaliable might get you close to a stock one, but to beat a piped one you would need a stroker kit at the very least.The 500s came stock with 48hp at the rear wheels, the Raptor is lucky to make 36hp at the rear wheels.Most LT 500s will put out damn near 60hp with a good pipe, reeds,filters and carb mods.I have heard of a few Raptors making mid 40s with a good pipe, jetting, and filters, thats still a few hp short of a stock LT. Sorry to seem so pro-Quadracer, but they are the fastest production quad ever built, and with the way that the ECO-NUTS are going it will probably never be dethroned since 2-strokes are a dying breed.I would start with the basic stuff, pipe, filter, gearing, ect. But to have a better chance I would suggest a cam and a higher comp. piston.

Old 05-10-2001, 11:38 AM
Range Rover

No2strokebs

It is nice to finally hear (from a Yamaha owner no less) that the 500 is a contender. Too many times people laugh at my old quad.

Ego aside, I would like to say that I hope the manufacturers come out with something that is faster than my 500. These are exciting times with all the new quads. I think it would be so cool to see more 2-strokes, but I'm convinced it won't happen.

This Yamaha forum is less brutal on me than the others.

Old 05-10-2001, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunately, I sold my 89' zilla for the Raptor. I know, big mistake, but done! I still regret it, but only when I'm drag racing or messin around in open feilds. I don't miss it so much when in the trails.

Anyway, I have my Raptor top-end going out tomorrow for a few mods. I'm going with a 680cc bore, JE 11-1 comp piston, performance cam, head ported and polished and a 3 angle valve job. This kit was dyno tested at 63.8 hp using the stock head pipes and a GYTR silencer. I CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT!!!!

Once I get it back and broke in, I'll post back as to how it compared to my old modded 89' zilla.

Later,
Swytak

Old 05-10-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you send it and how much $$ ??

Quick Reply: How much faster does a Raptor need to be to beat....