Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Am I the only Raptor owner ...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you that attribute the problems some of us have had with our Raptors to our lack of maintenance or sense have your heads stuck in the sand or quite possibly somewhere else.
Some folks act as if we are traitors to YOUR brand fixation if we so much as mention a problem that we have had with our machines.
The only reason I EVER came on here and even mentioned my tranny problems was to give a "heads-up" to other Raptor owners to keep an eye out for KNOWN potential problems that MAY just happen to some of YOU. I don't need sympathy nor do I need your accusations that I did something to cause my machine to break. My intent is not to bash Yamaha or the Raptor but merely to dissemenate information. I would never be so juvenile as to wish any problems on any of you but I'm sure if you ever DO have a problem it just might be an eye opener for you.
In my case my fourth gear went out (which the mechanic said was likely a casting defect on a part of the gear itself) which in turn took out second and third gears as well. Does this mean that the Raptor is a POS? No of course not! Just ask the folks on other machines that have tried and failed to keep up with me.
Should you be mindful of a potential problem and keep your eyes out? Only if you are smart.

Old 05-27-2001, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

DuneJammer, easy there. Nobody said ALL problems are the result of the operator. It's obvious the Raptor has some inherent problems that are in no way related to the rider. I believe some, but not all, of these problems are rider related. I'm extremely mindful of the mentioned Raptor problems and do nothing to expediate these. Trust me, if my tranny grenades I know it's going to be a bike issue. Nobody in this thread directly blamed you for what happened. It's just you read these threads of "I jumped my Raptor 6 feet in the air and came down on the right rear tire and the axle bent. Why are these axles so weak?" and my personal favorite "I blew 2nd gear and don't know why!" and then come to find out they frequently don't use the clutch when racing. I'm just saying the Raptor has a known weak axle and questionable 2nd gear so why would some of these people ride like their invincible to these issues?

Old 05-29-2001, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

One thousand fifty miles. Zero problems.

Old 05-29-2001, 03:30 PM
klj
Trailblazer

I've had mine since October. I have just over 40 hrs on it and no problems of any kind.

Old 05-29-2001, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have my Raptor for about 3 months. I have ridden every week for at the least 3 days a week for about 4-6 hours a day. I replaced the joke of a skidplate, ** smashed it pretty bad **
And im having jetting problems.. **my own fault **

The bikes been great, I love it, I am very aggressive trail / dune rider.

The problems I had are MY issues.. not the bikes.

Im a satisfeid rider,