Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...here is the history on my raptor...purchased in april...vin
#---14447 from Central Sports, Plainfield CT...problems and/or occurances which required me to turn some wrenches...which i love to do...i even have a manual...

1) steering stem nut loosened up...locktite fixed it
2) axel nut loosened up...axel move 1/8"...no prolbems...locktite to the rescue
3) right side shock bolts...loosened up...lost one nut only...locktite again saves the day
4) carbs..blew off twice...i repositioned the clamps, took the spacers out, tighened clamps a little more than the spaces would let you...and turned up the idle screw and havent had any carbs dislodging anymore...i posted my fix for the carbs on this forum...

all in all...my raptor has been the best purchase i have made...tons of fun...really fast...i am a happy camper...

as for the tranny...i make sure i make all my shifts into and out of reverse are clean and percise...

as for the false nuetrals....only a sloppy shift will induce this...and if i hit a false nuetral..a.k.a...missed shift...i dont slam the tranny into gear...i wait for the revs to drop and put it back into gear nicely...hehe...dont get me wrong...i ride it like i stole it....but i cherish my purchase...at $7000 out the door...how could you not...my raptor never get put away dirty and i always grease and lube after i wash....my raptor should last me a long time...i will keep ya posted if my tranny acts up...but with a vin#14447...i hope the magic number of 6000 holds...
herbdon out...

Old 06-09-2001, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Hi Xplor, RapTech here. I've been an ATV technician now for over 20 years. I own one of the first Raptors out and I've set up many for all types of racing. I've got some insights which may help with your concerns.

On the tranny concerns, Yamaha has not updated the tranny in mid production of 2001 (first year) model. All `01 models have the same tranny. The ones I've seen with problems are the riders who shift without using the clutch. They tell me that they have no time to use the clutch so they jam from gear to gear holding the throttle to the bar. Try that with your car/truck and see what happens. After tranny failure, call Chevy or Ford for assistance - good luck.

I've race many years and I use my clutch consistently without thinking (like tying your shoes). I've never had a tranny problem with all my machines (well, maybe the 2nd gear on my `85 Vmax). My Raptor is doing fine.

I will admit that Raptors are geared tall especially in tight courses. Dropping the gearing really helps but if you down size the drive sprocket, keep your eye on the swing arm pivot wear pad because the chain will start to cut into it. I did hear that `02 models have lower gear ratio on 1st and 2nd to address the tall gearing concerns but it's not beefed up toprevent breakage from jamming.

On the carb blowing off issue, the main cause is the fact that low speed carb setting is on the lean side especially if the engine has not reached operating temp and exhaust pipe has been modified. I think Yamaha set it up this way for enviromental reasons (thanks to our EPA) but I can understand that. The EZ fix is to clean up the manifold and carb fitting so there is no lube on it and put the carbs back on. Pull the clamps all the way back so you can get a good grip on the carbs and tighten it up. Turn the pilot mixture screws out about 1/2 to 3/4 turns from original setting. set idle speed up to high side of spec and you're there.

There is a new manifols out (`02 spec, if dealer orders a set he get the new spec.) which grips the carbs better but until the lean backfire is addressed, what gives.

If you have any other issues, just talk to me and I'll try to help. I've worked on Raptors more than any average technicians.

Old 06-09-2001, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Xplor, RapTech here again. Reading all the forums, they're all concerned about the same thing, do me a favor and pass on the information I gave you. I don't want to respond to all so I'll try to just communicate with you. You'll be my link to others. Secret Pal. OK???

Old 06-09-2001, 01:58 AM
Range Rover

Bandit99, put a new manifold on, turn out your low speed mixture screw about 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from stock setting and turn up your idle speed and you're set.

The nipple on the manifold is for checking vacuum reading when diagnosing a running problem (suspecting mechanical problem). This part is probably used on other engine application such as XTZ660 to turn on the fuel on the vacuum activated fuel shut off valve at pitcock. No worries.

Old 06-09-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks RapTech... If you want the info that you posted here to reach the most people make a post of it. Just copy your text and paste it on it's own post. There are so many stories flying around that this could help a lot of people. I will be sure too pass on the info whenever I can too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the insights RapTech. I can sleep better at night now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Do you have any insights as to the reasons for hitting false neutrals between 1st and 2nd under hard acceleration? I do use the clutch religiously for shifting. Recently I was told to keep the thorottle pin while shifting (with clutch) for better drag time, is this bad?

Thanks in advance for your help...

-jkc

Old 06-09-2001, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

The boots blew off my carbs also. I took it to the dealer and of course they said that they haven't heard anything about that happening to anybody else. My Raptor # is like 4425 so I bought a 4 year warranty for it. Oh by the way I bent my axle after about 2 hours of ride time. Keep posting the probs with your pigs, I'm gonna print all of these threads.

Old 06-09-2001, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

RapTech
I also used the clutch when I experienced the false neutrals and yes I was on the trottle hard. I was smart enough to wait for the revs to come down and then went for 2nd. I heard that this may also be caused by the clutch not being adjusted properly and this is causing the jamming or missing 2nd? I've ridding many clutches b/4 this and it the clutch feels ok to me. When I kit it into 1st it doesn't leach forward. Any truth to the clutch adjustment having something to do with it?

Old 06-10-2001, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

When shifting, try holding pressure on the pedal while it's engaging to the gear you're shifting into. Don't just pull up of push down on the pedal. When shifting up, hold the pedal up and keep pressure on it while normal shift or speed shifting (without letting off the throttle - it's OK if done right, with clutch of course)until you feel positive engagement.

I've done this all my life and I don't miss shifts. Soon it'll come naturally.

RapTech

Old 06-10-2001, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Just got around to checking my vin. I thought it would be pretty high because I got it in April but it is around 1650. Kinda surprised me.

Quick Reply: Raptor Transmission Testemonials!