Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just looking through the latest issue the other day and noticed that there was a responce from Cannondale. It had to do with the shoot out against the Raptor. During the Rapor/FX shoot out Dirtwheels reported about an engine problem. It looks like Cannondale didn't want any bad press, so they spoke about all the things they have upgraded and repaired/fixed for Cannondale riders and at no charge. I think that Yamaha needs to jump on that ban wagon but more over, Dirtwheels needs to publish some facts about the Raptor before that will ever happen. Maybe we can all get together and write some letters to Dirtwheels. I have a new Raptor and don't have any problems yet but I think that Yamaha should come off the hip and admit it. I have to congradulate Cannondale for taking responsibility.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I actually like the mags. You can thumb through the advertisements and find parts for quads that you would never find in Dennis Kirk, Rocky Mountain, ect. I enjoy the letters, along with the pictures readers send in.

As far as renegging on their claims that a bike was king at one time, but is now underpowered, well, it was king, back in 99 when it came out. Now other manufacturers have upped the bar, now it is underpowered, that is expected.

They do bash quads once in a while. When they did the review on the latest Banshee, they said that the chain tensioning adjustment, along with the air box setup, was a complete nightmare. They even added something like, "c'mon Yamaha, change this dreadful setup!!"

More times than not, they tell you who is the clear winner in a shootout, once in a while, they claim it is too close.

All in all, I think the price paid for a subscription is a good value.

Old 07-16-2001, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well, My opinion after reading Dirt Wheels for a couple of years is that they are lieing more often than ever.
I mean , I was really mad a couple of months ago when they rated the Banshee lower than the 400EX in the Desert Category. I am not saying that the Banshee is better that the 400ex in every point, BUT in the desert category, there is no contest. Another thing, is that they are always talking about the Banshee like if NOW it is a piece of crap !!! I mean, the only good thing that they say about it is that it has a good high end power, I agree with that, but they say it has no other thing to talk about, AND I DONT AGREE WITH THAT AT ALL!!!! It has lots of positives things.
I admit it , they just but the new quad like if it would be the better one.
I am sick.

Old 07-16-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtwheels is 100% ads. Even the so called shoot outs, and their "if you don't wear a helmet we can't show your pic", "warning, this is only professional riders", "much of the action depicte is dangerous"...feel like I'm reading the warnings on my bike!!! Can't they just put this crap aside (which won't make people change their mind), and do fair and honest product reviews and shoot outs.
European mags do objective testings (power, speed, weight..etc), and rider ratings, and pick the best. There is almost always one better bike. Not "it's different, they can't be compared, they're equal" not to upset a manufacturer and be scared they won't be given a quad for the next test.
This sucks bad. They push you to buy aftermarket gizmos, when most of the time, they're not necessary...the Raptor needs wider axle and AArms (we're talking a grand$$) to be nice...he? Why don't you just lean a little more? Dirtwheels is complete ads, and they're not even honest. They say the new Grizzly will powerslide easily...is Fourlix okay with this assumption??

The more I read it, the more I look at the ads and pics.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Zorro, Did you ever think that Quads go on several terrains while bikes only go on one terrain, the street. SO it is easier to make a desicion on something that only goes on the street. But quads go on a variety of terrains. So it is harder to find a winner. Because a quad can be good in one terrain but not another. Lets take my 300EX for example, it is a GREAT woods quad but probably not to exciting in the dunes. Now compare that to something similar to the Banshee, not to good in the woods but great in the dunes. So lets say you are writing the story and you have come upon this dilema, do you go for the one that does great in the woods, or the one that does great in the dunes? Now, like ATV Action did in the January 2000 issue they went with the one that was great for the woods because the majority of rider's are woods riders. Do you get my drift. It is easy to say something is better if you are riding on one terrain rather than a lot of terrains. Well, anyways I subscribe to Dirt Wheels and ATV Action and personally love them both, and personally don't think they are as biased as most of you make them out to be. Not one person can tell me that they are not even the slightest bit biased. Everyone is a little biased. Like I personally can't stand Banshee's because 1. they are 2-strokes, 2. They aren't very good in the woods, 3. they make to much noise, and 4. they smell awful. Not to bash anyone but that is the way I feel. I just don't like 2-strokes and am glad that 4-strokes are taking over. As I said in my profile 2-strokes are 2 strokes to few!