Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Disagree with riding ages...READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I know, you've heard many a time about people disagreeing with age limits for atv's being too little for theyre age requirement. but you will not believe this. i am 13 years old and own a 2000 yamaha blaster and (here's the good part) a yamaha banshee 420cc with $5000 worth of acceries. not that it isnt fast (WHOA its fast!) but i have no problem handeling it and have never wrecked or I have also never been beat in a drag race (or any other race for that matter). There is no way that i could own a 90cc atv. if anyone agrees with me post a message.

sincerely,

BansheeBoy2001

Old 06-18-2001, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

BansheeBoy2001 - While I don't agree with some of the age limits set for quads, remember this. You (i'm thinking) have more saddle time then most 13yr. And you most likely have someone that taught you the finer points of riding. I didn't start riding till I bought my first ATV at 28, a blaster. Good luck and be safe.

Old 06-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey BansheeBoy2001.. I'm 16 and own a Banshee. I have won my fair share of races, and got beaten in the process. Skill comes with time. Age limits are put on quads to prevent the beginner to get over their head. Now, I do disagree with the 18 to ride a Polaris.. and.. 16 to ride a blaster.. But, they are put there for a very good reason. Besides, not every normal 14 yr old can go out and buy a $6500 fourwheeler.. So, it's not that big of a deal anyway. Most kids have to have their parents buy it.. And.. USUALLY the parent is over 18. Later

Old 06-18-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

not busting on you or anything, but if you at .40 over stock bore then you should not even be close to 420cc

Old 06-19-2001, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am an ASI [ATV Safety Instuctor].As an instructor,I MUST abide by the manufactures age/cc recommendations in order to hold class,which for most ATV manufactures is

6-11 yrs old, less than 70cc.
12-15 yrs old,90cc or less.

I have never agreed with this recommendation and find it to be ridicules in most cases.The truth of the matter is,we instructors are MISSING a HUGE portion of the younger ATVers because of this requirement that we MUST follow in order to teach.

How many parents go out and buy their 14yr old son/daughter a 90cc ATV?NOT MANY.Put simple,they just DONT fit and are as dangerous as putting him/her on an oversized ATV.I have argued this age/cc requirement for yrs and feel it should be left to the descretion of the Safety Instructor as to whether the kid be allowed to ride on a larger CC ATV for class?
I MYSELF bought my 14yr old daughter a Honda Recon and she fits/rides it like a glove.Im NOT going to WASTE my hard earned money on a 90cc ATV just so I can protect the ATV manufactures from potential lawsuits.

And another thing,
Dont think for ONE MINUTE that your dealer would rather sell you a 90cc ATV for your 14yr old instead of a higher priced 250cc ATV.These age/cc recomendations are to protect the MANUFACTURES of ATVs,and serve no other real purpose.

Now im not here to tell you that there are NO cases when the age/cc recommendations should be followed,however,rarly does that apply.
Bill

Old 06-19-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with what Muddy4life said about a bigger person on a smaller quad being just as dangerous as vice versa. I am a 16 year old girl that weighs only 110lbs and i have NO trouble what so ever on a 500cc 4x4. i have tried a 100cc moto 4 and found it much less stable for my size and harder to ride. I have very small feet and they still would barely fit on the pegs. I much prefer driving the 450 s 4x4 and have even tried the SP 500. I could never picture someone my age driving those kid quads.. it would look too weird. My 8 year old cousin handles the 100cc very well and has never had an accident or anything. Infact i think he could do fine on something larger. that is my 2 cents anyway.

NeWf

Old 06-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

I agree that the ATV laws are ridiculous. I am 13 and ride a Polaris Trailblazer. I have rode nothing bigger. Even though i'm sure I could ride something bigger. Isn't there a law in West Virginia where you can ride a 250cc atv if your 12 and above?

Old 06-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

The age/cc requirements are manufactures RECOMMENDATIONS only!In Michigan,an ATV salesman cannot LEGALLY sell you a ATV out of the manufactures age/cc recommendations,however,there is NO law regarding what size ATV you ride when your on the trailhead.Ridicules,YOU BET!

So dad can go in and tell the salesman that the 250cc TrailBlazier is for him,he can buy it and than YOU can legally ride it with parental supervision and a ATV safety training certificate on ANY legal trailhead in Michigan,so long as you are at least age 12.

This is all part of the Consent Decree signed back in 1988,what a joke!
Bill

Old 06-19-2001, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

im 13 and have a 200sx
and that thing is heavy
and slow but to legaly
drive it i got to be 16
and THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2001, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey people thanx for all of the nice comments and for helping people understand that atving is all about fun and how can a 13 year old have fun on a 90? anymore comments would be greatly appreciated but pleasae no rude comments because i would like to keep this a clean and friendly site. THANX EVERYONE , talk to ya lata, bansheeboy2001

Quick Reply: Disagree with riding ages...READ THIS