Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! Ultramatic Problems On Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 03:41 PM
MrT
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was riding yesterday I decided to see the mudding abilities on my kodiak. They were not very good. I got it stuck in about 2 1/2 feet of mud and water and the belt got wet. After i got it out I was able to drive it home at about 5 mph. When I opened the belt there was mud and water in it so I cleaned it out and let it dry. After I did all that it would not go any faster than 5 mph. One thing I noticed was the clutch on the belt was not moving it was just staying still like it is in 1st gear all the time. There is dried mud on it and it is a litle rusy but that is at a minimal. I dont understand how much mud and water got in it. Have any of these things happened to you? How can I fix the ultramatic? Thanks for the Help.

Old 06-21-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Is the big black plastic pipe that runs from underneath the plastic cover under the front rack still connected to the tube at the front lower portion of the engine? Sounds like it came off. Check it close and try to wiggling it to make sure it is secure. I can't think of another way you could get that much mud and water in unless you were buried all the way up to the front rack.

Old 06-21-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Since you had a lot of mud in there, cleaned it out and it still won't go. Sounds like the clutch weights need to be cleaned and lubed. After taking off the clutch cover, remove the clutch nut and remove the clutch. Break it apart and clean it up, lube it, put it back together. You should be good to go after that. And as the previous poster stated, check those tubes (both front and back) to ensure they are secure.

Old 06-21-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Did you check your engine oil for water? I run mine in deep mud all the time. Always make sure you shift into low before going into the deep mud. It makes it easier on the quad and the high revs keeps the pressure in the belt area which keeps out the water. Not sure about why it only goes 5mph. Does the engine still seem to have lots of power/revs? I'm still looking for a shop manual for mine so until then I'm not sure how exactly the ultramatic works. I assume its the same as a Ski-doo, maybe the mud has one the the pully wheels seized. Wish I were more help.

Old 06-21-2001, 05:35 PM
MrT
Weekend Warrior

The motor revs hard and the power is there. The only problem is that it wont go past 5 mph. It is kind of like a 450es stuck in an ultra low 1st gear. Can u tell me exactly where those tubes are because there was a really lot of mud in the clutch and there is no way it was up to the racks in mud. Thanks alot guys for ur help.

Old 06-21-2001, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

They are plastic tubes, about 2 1/2" in diamenter....you really can miss them. The easiest one to see is the rear. Take a look under the rear rack and see the black plastic. That runs down towards the belt. Once you locate that one, you'll know what to look for on the front. It definitely sounds like one came loose (most likely the front). And make sure you do what I said, I can pretty much guarantee you got a lot of debris/mud up in your clutch weights which is causing the quad/clutch to engage properly.

Old 06-21-2001, 07:13 PM
MrT
Weekend Warrior

The rear is conected but the front is not. Im gona go put it back on, clean the clutch up and hopefully that will fix it. I just wan to say thanx alot to all u guys for responding so quickly and helping me. Ill report back later and tell u guys how it worked. MrT