Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Put the Big Gun exhaust on last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 09:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Big Gun arrived yesterday so I installed it last night along with a 150 main jet. Man that thing is loud compared to the stock exhaust! The directions said to apply high temp silicone to help seal the muffler to the head pipe and let it dry before riding. Well I could not help but to start it to see what it sounded like and WOW what a change. Now I hope when I take it out tonight after work it has as much gain in performance as it did in sound. Also I hope the 150 main is not going to be to rich or to lean. If its to rich I was thinking of adding a couple of lid vents to add more air. Has anyone else installed this exhaust and used the 150 main? If so what did you see when pulling the plug? Thanks...

Old 07-11-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

I'm waiting for my White Bros. Pro Meg silencer to arrive. Rocky Mountain said July 16th. I hope I'm as excited as you are when I put this thing on the quad! I have the K&N air filter and the jet kit too. I also have the airbox vents. Everything will get done at the same time as soon as the silencer shows up. Can't wait!
What main were you using before the Big Gun? 150 might be too rich. Check the plug after you run it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2001, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

I was running the stock 145 main with the Pro Design intake and filter. I called Paul at Big Gun and he said to use the 150 main, if it is a little on the rich side thats better than running to lean. I was also looking at the FMF and White Bro but both were on back order for over a month at RM ATV and I really didn't want to mess with tunning the disc on the WB. The FMF pipe said to start with a 150 main as a base on there PC IV pipe so I think Big Gun is real close with the 150 main also. If the plug looks real rich I will start by adding two vents to the airbox and go from there. Good luck with your mods!

Old 07-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

I've got the Big Gun exhaust and header pipe on my Warrior. It came with the "race" baffle installed, and I also bought the "quiet" insert w/ spark arrestor. When I went to change the insert to the quiet one, it didn't fit! And I was doing this while standing in a foot of snow while on vacation! I had to go door-to-door asking to borrow a hacksaw from all the other cabin renters. I got it to fit, and enjoyed the weekend with the other 3 Warrior riders I was with. I had a #150 jet in it and a K&N filter during that weekend.
That was a year ago. I have since went to a # 147.5 main jet, and installed 6 UniFilter vents in my airbox, and put an outerwear on the K&N. Mine runs alot better with the #147.5 jet. The 150 was too rich for me. Check your spark plug after an aggressive ride, to see if you're jetted good.

Another problem. The BigGun stuck out so darn far, that I couldn't stand the quad up on it's *** end! That was a bad thing, because that's how I had to load it in my truck, do maintenance on it, and also how I cleaned the underside. I had access to a shop, and modified the system slightly, so it would stand up on the grab bar once again.