Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How Thirsty is this Grizzly monster

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this Grizz certainly does like the gasoline. On this last ride the Grizz and the DS went the exact same places. DS used 1.5 gallons, Grizz used 2.5 gallons. Funny thing is the Raptor, which was not on this ride, consistently gets better gas mileage than the DS, which means the Raptor is getting about twice the gas mileage the Grizz is. Go figure....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from 175 mile hunting trip with my 660 Grizz. Terrain included muddy swamps and very steep hills to climb with a loaded meat trailor behind it. With my 300lb body and all gear and extra fuel for 10 days, you would probably looking at 1,300 to 1,500lbs. Thats machine included. There was a 1998 Grizz with 26" Vamps on it, a 1999 Grizz with 27" Vamps on it, and a 1999 Sportsman with 26" Vamps on it. My 660 Grizz had 28" Outlaws on it and we all used exactly the same amount of fuel on the trip. We always traveled together, and all hauled approximately the same amount of gear. I was very surprised at the outcome, so was my buddys.
For all those people passing rumors around that the new Grizz does not have enough torque to turn over big mudtires I say (HOGWASH). I know first hand now what this machine can do, it will turn over the big tires in low range in deep mud no sweat. It will pull long steep hills with big tires in HIGH range no sweat.
Now I can put my stock tires back on and have lots of fun, with all that power.
For those of you wanting a better review, I appoligize, I am very short on time right now and could not do it justice. So here is my grade on the machines performance on this hunting trip, (A+).
YukonRon don't be afraid of what this machine can do in our neck of the woods, it handles it perfectly.
It had big shoes to fill with my previous 500 Arctic Cat, but filled them well.

Old 09-20-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yukon Ron,
I just put my 2 cents in on this post, I wish I had more time to write more, but I am short on time right now. The info is on the 2nd page. We didn't have any luck with Moose on this trip, I hope you did.
Larry

Old 09-20-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Larry:
Thanks for the report on the Griz. It sounds great. It sounds like you put it through some pretty good tests. Glad the bike worked so well. Sorry to hear you didn't get a moose though. Hope the hunt was still fun anyways. Will you be going out to try again?
I got a nice freezer-trophy. He's about 3 years old with a 42" rack. Just right to split between 2 families. We had a good hunt, but the ATVing was not spectacular. Tried a new area and it was mostly mine roads, so I didn't take many pictures. I'll post what I got and post the URL when I get some time. Just got back yesterday and still cleaning up gear. Later.

Old 09-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Larry:
I just re-read your post and noticed your trip was 175 miles. Was that all ATVing as you described? How much fuel did you use to go that distance?

Old 09-21-2001, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yes Ron that was all atv miles. I used approximately 12 Gallons of gas. Remember though we where always in 4 wheel drive and 33 of those miles was pulling the trailor and loaded 4 wheeler. The rest of the miles where mixed between swamp riding, climbing steep hills, and probably a total of atleast 2 miles going up creeks and down creeks, some of them up to 2 feet deep. Wasn't any trails, so we traveled through the creeks.
Going into our camping area one of our guys flipped his trailor on its top in the swamp area. We had really steep angles at times. I only used differential lock one time, at one of those steep angles where one front tire was up in the air about a foot off the ground. As soon as it locked it pulled me right out, it was really nice to have and just a push of the button.
With all that clearance, this machine just crawls like a tractor through the mud. Well back to work.
Larry

Old 09-21-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Larry. Sounds like a great trip. Your fuel usage translates to over 14 mpg or about 75 miles to a tank. Considering the conditions of the trip, that's not bad.