Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wife bought me 2001 Raptor..should I kill her?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats SO cool, dont kill her, keep her!! lol! Congrats on the new machine!!!

Old 07-24-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

If I come live with you.. Will your wife call me her son.. and buy me a 250R?? PLEEEEEASE!.. lol.. Congrats man. I agree with most of these guys.. Keep the stock gearing.. and see how you like it. If you can't live w/o a 12 tooth, spend the $15 and get one! And if that makes it worse in your opinion, go back! ATV's are a wonderful thing.. If you get something you don't like, you don't have to use it!

Old 07-24-2001, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

I think you can buy a 2002 tranny and that would take care of all the gearing. But I also heard that the crank shaft or some thing like that was comming up threw the top end!!!

Old 07-24-2001, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I bought an aftermarket pipe and that negated any gearing problems, there is always good throttle response on mine

Old 07-24-2001, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, thanks for the advice people. I'll ride the snot out of it for the next few months and decide on the extended warranty.

The 12 tooth sprocket.....did it come from the dealer or aftermarket. And if I did change it, can I take up the slack in the chain with the adjustment?

This is my fourth Yamaha and as for the previous 3...trouble free.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2001, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

You can get the 12 tooth after market, like from Rocky Mountain ATV, and you can take the slack up in the adjustment.

Old 07-24-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Your in better shape with the 2001. it leaves the door open for necassary upgrades. it's harder to make that argument with a updated quad.

first off, reciprocate and buy that wonderful lady of yours something that would make her equally as happy.Women like that are few and far between. Find a day spa and and make her a few appointments.( your gonna need it for my second part ). when she comes back from her massage she will be less likely to comment on all the UPS boxes on your front stoop...filled with aftermarket goodies.

Thats right. leave some room on that card, because you got some shopping to do. REGARDLESS of which Raptor she bought i would recommend several changes to your Raptor. Since these require detailed explanations i would need to know where and how you plan on riding your quad?

AK

Old 07-24-2001, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

What kind of riding? Mostly strip mines, dirt road blasts, woods & trails. Not slow technical trails (like rocks & stumps that my buddies with the SP500's love).

And as far as taking care of my wife? She has ME. A gift that keeps on giving every day. Hoo Haw!

Old 07-24-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent.
1. 12 tooth sprocket. (i replaced the rear as well with titanium and stainless chain from sidewinder)
2. Skid plates ( if your absolutly positive that you will not be replacing the a-arms then go with skid plate for the arms. they saved me several times from costly damage. They DO NOT fit aftermarket a-arms.)
3. if you like to wheely...replace the rear bumper( if not, stock is adequate ).
4. 660cc. Lots-o-power. extra protection upfront is a good idea. the stock bumper is useless.
5. The axle is crap. accept this. I'm sure if you bend it. the dealer would replace it with the 2002 axle ( that may not be as good as it sounds...some people had theirs replaced with aftermarket axles by the dealer.)i run with lonestar.

Free tricks:
1. flip rear linkage,( this will lower the rear by 2",making the raptor less tippy in the turns)
2. flip Rims (this will widen the front. i'm told you will need to change the valve stems on the tire so they don't get pinched off.

AK

Old 07-24-2001, 02:19 PM
RIP Dear Friend

If that is the type of riding you do keep your stock gearing. The Raptor loves strip mines, dirt roads and anything else thrown at it. If its a later production model it will have less problems if the machine is not abused. Models are usually updated on the line as production goes on. They are not going to hang a sign on the Raptor in the showroom saying this one doesn't have update and that one over there has the update. This is just a guess but I would be willing to bet the 2002 Raptors will be slowed down with new trans. Then every one with 02 Raptor will want bigger front sprocket just to keep up with the 01 Raptors. I am going to start hinting to my wife I sure like that Red 2001 Corvette thats leftover.

Quick Reply: Wife bought me 2001 Raptor..should I kill her?