Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wife bought me 2001 Raptor..should I kill her?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife suprised me with a brand new 2001 raptor Sunday. I have the best wife in the world. I have done a lot of research on 2001 problems. I was going to wait for the 2002 but that old lady of mine shot those plans! What I need to know is was there any mid-year revisions (tranny, carb boots, jetting)? Or are all 2001 raptors the same. It was the last raptor out of 5 dealers in my area.
Should I just keep an eye out for these problems?

Has anyone bought the yes extended warranty and how much 1,2,or 3 years?

I also wish it had a lower 1st gear. Should I change the front sprocket?

I know this has all been beaten to death in these forums, but I seem to be reading that some have problems while others don't. I can't take it back or say anything to my wife, so I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

Can I marry your wife?? I wish my girlfriend would do that for me. She bought me a 400 EX. Just not a real one, a little $5 toy from Wal Mart. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Cheapest thing to do is get the 12 tooth counter sprocket its about $15 and it makes a difference.

Old 07-23-2001, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

I have one of the late 2001 raptors. Mine is three weeks old. No problems yet. I got the 3 year warranty just in case I do run into any first year production problems. As for changing the sprocket, I'd suggest riding it around for a couple months before you change the sprocket. The Raptor has a high redline on it (9000ish), and it's made to rev high, so I really don't see the gearing as much of a problem (I will agree that 2nd gear is a little high though).

2001 Raptor (GTY-R Front Bumper, Pro Design Kill Switch)
1988 Warrior (too many mods to list... FOR SALE)

Old 07-23-2001, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

Definitely do the 12 tooth sprocket change if you ride any technical trails at all. This will get first gear down where you can actually use it without slipping the clutch forever. There is a rumour that later Raptors have a transmission weakness fixed, but it has not been confirmed. Because of that, I just bought the extended warranty (I figure it will help the resale value also to be able to sell it with a warranty from Yamaha). The prices were:
12 month: $386
24 month: $490
36 month: $630
The extended warranty starts when your factory 6 month warranty runs out. Also, you must buy the extended warranty BEFORE your extended warranty runs out. Notice how they pro-rated the prices to make you want to buy the next longer period (the third year is only $140 more).

Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Old 07-23-2001, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Go to yamaha's website, they say they fixed the tranny problem. They updated the airbox too (I think, they did the banshee for sure) It suposidly has different tires on it, but I dont see it.

Old 07-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

i dunno, i wouldn't mind havin a 2001. i'm probably gonna be getting a 2002 and i can see where your worried about problems i'm definaely worried abotu having problems with my new one. not just tranny either... i like to jump a lot and i don't wanna bend my axel but oh well i'm sure once u start riding it you'll be happy to have it.

Old 07-23-2001, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man, just take the gift. It might not be exactly what your looking for but what she did was still awsome. Kind of like getting the ugly tie from your kid at fathers day. I wouldn't worry too much about the problems. If the thing breaks then it will break. If you want peice of mind then maybe you should buy the extended warranty. I have the later model, no problems except those created by myself. As for the first gear, I don't really have a problem with it running in the desert. Sometimes 2nd can be a pain in the butt where you just don't have the rpm's to stay there and you need to shift down quick then back up.

Old 07-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

No problems here just blending steering stems and breaking shocks and tierods.I have had mine since Dec.and I still have the factory clutch and the boots have never blown off.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:02 PM
kdx
Weekend Warrior

Purchased mine 5/03/01. I have left my gearing alone. Try it for awhile and see if you like it. No problems except for some drips of coolet out of the weep hole on water pump. I think your going to like your new 01 Raptor.

Quick Reply: Wife bought me 2001 Raptor..should I kill her?