Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GPS Speed on a 660 Griz

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001 | 04:06 AM
Pro Rider

"bulletproof"-heh heh heh, I like that. Damn, that talk about the ruger got me drooling again-I need a new gun! Well, don't really NEED one, but you know how it goes-every hunting season comes around, you just HAVE to get something fun, guns are always a good choice! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I think my next handgun though will be a .44 or larger-wheel gun, no auto's here. Well, I do have a little .32 walther, but I have a personal prefernce to wheel guns myself-I just love 'em!

As for the 'Cat, I know what you mean about going from "bad ***" to average in just an hours time or so. You sit my 'Cat next to my Dad's, I always get people asking "damn, what is that thing!", pointing to my 'Cat. With just Dad's, it's like "oh, a quad, pretty cool", as they walk away. I heard you can actually get the new headlights and front plastic to fit my 'Cat with just a few simple minutes of your time. Basically removing front clip, installing new '02 clip and changing the wiring harness for the new lights to work-sounds pretty easy, and would definately make for a good "conversation piece". Those new lights from what I hear are pretty great for stock lights. Course, you know how lame the stock lights are that we have, anything would be better than those candles.

As for the 300 miles-didn't realize you had that many already. I have to agree with you at this point, basically waiting for parts to break, rather than "break in". I think you're probably right, it's about as broke in as it's gonna get, so I doubt you'll see much improvement on top speed. Still though, sounds like you gained about 10mph minimum swapping to the Griz, that's plenty fast enough for ya isn't it?

Oh, quick note-found a new hunting show on today that was sponsored by AC! They were riding a '01 500 auto, then did a "dealer preview" of the new '02 they're getting for this year, along with a little word about the AC line up in general. Pretty cool-most of the hunting shows you see have all Polaris or Kawi's.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 08-12-2001 | 05:45 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

I may be wrong but a mechanic told me the 2002 AC's are going to have these plug type things on all electrical stuff. I don't know much about what he was talking about but i guess for like the winch wiring and for accessories and stuff. He seemed to think that all the main wiring for the bike was like this too, but I don't know. That would be neat if the front end is interchangable. Those lights are certainly different, but I bet they would throw a good beam.

Old 08-16-2001 | 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 grizzly and have hit 64 mph with factory speedo with 60 miles on machine. I had a 2000 grizzly and when i had my valves adjusted i lost about 4 mph and a buddy of mine has a 99 grizzly and had his valves adjusted and gained between 5-6 mph. There is a lot to be said for valve adjustment. Have you had yours adjusted yet? You may have more geared to bottom end and if your thing is top end have your valve adjustment checked. Just a suggestion. The main thing i look at is how fast between 0-40 and the amount of torque. Not many creeks and mud and trails i want to hit more than 40mph on. LOL

Old 08-16-2001 | 09:48 PM
Range Rover

I'm glad to see this post as I just returned from a month on the road with my '02 Griz and '01 Raptor. I did note that the speedo said I was going faster than the gps said but did not do a GPS vs speedo test for mph, but did do a GPS vs speedo test for miles traveled and the speedo on the griz was off a little over 10%. This 10% is probally also correct for mph. I just returned and am way tired so later I will post my question as "What kind of MPG are you Griz 660 owners getting?" MINE SUCKS!!!
Arlan

Old 08-17-2001 | 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

HERES A THOUGHT,WHY THE H*LL WOULD YOU WANNA RUN 60MPH ON A UTILITY QUAD!!!

Old 08-17-2001 | 01:26 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Pretty much for the same reason you would want to do it on a sport quad.