Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Grizzly big wheel kit splits fender!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 11:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother purchased a grizzly 660 about 3 weeks ago with a Big Wheel kit installed. The rims are ITP and the tires are 27x12x12 on the back. The first time he went riding the tires were rubbing the rear fenders every time he hit a small bump or hole. After getting home and washing the quad we noticed the fender was starting to split where it bolts up to the floor board. With the big wheel kit the tires stick out about 4" from the fenders. He called the dealer and told him he wanted the stock tires and wheel that came with the quad and why, so the dealer gave them to him but didn't want to let him return the big wheel kit for a credit. The dealer said he would have to order a new fender and said to leave the kit with them and when his rep from Parts Unlimited came by he would try to get them to refund the cost of the kit or replace it with one that has less off-set so the tires don't set out as far and go with a 26" tire. I think if Parts Unlimited does not take them back then the dealer should have to eat the cost of the kit and refund my brother. What do you think?

Old 08-28-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have 28x12x12 outlaws on the back of my 660 Grizz and they don't rub the fenders. I have them on ITP wheels. I took a small grinding wheel and put it in my hand drill and grinded the plastic splash gaurds in front of the rear wheels from top to bottom real lightly untill I got it far enough away from the wheel. It actually looks like a factory job. I also set the shocks all the way up which gave me another 1/2" clearance and helped keep the fenders away from the tires. No problems up to now, but I am not jumping hills either. I figure it is a utility bike not a sport bike.

Old 08-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

From my limited experience with the new Griz I have to ad that the quality of the plastic is a disappointment. It does not hold it's finish and appears cheap and easily damaged. Anyone else observe the same problem???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]