Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

honda vs kawasaki vs yamaha?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of these 3 quads wich would you buy...yamaha blaster,kawasaki mojave or a honda 300ex....who would you rate the best overall by judging ....jumping, duning, and drag racing....i am asking this because i have a friend that is going to buy a quad in the next few months and these are the 3 he is looking at

Old 09-17-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

i would get the mojave. it is faster than both the other quads. it has a high tech liquid cooled, twin overhead cam, fast revving engine with a ton of power for it's size. it handles really well. it's only short coming in the performance area is when it comes to going through whoops at speed, which is where it's short wheel base shows itself.it can handle larger jumps than the blaster and 300ex because of the stiffer suspension. it is also 700 dollars cheaper than the honda but about a thousand more than the blaster. your friend won't be dissapointed with any of the quads unless he is a larger adult. hope this helps..

laterz

Old 09-18-2001, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

What are you afraid of the RAPTOR or money issues holding you back. If its money I would wait until you can afford a RAPTOR.

Old 09-18-2001, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

I see you are trying different forums to get a non-biased answer. I have to tell you that my answer is non-biased and I have owned quads from all of the big four, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki. Here is my breakdown:

Honda: Built like a rock. In 1985 I bought a new 200S and over the course of three years I NEVER changed the filter, and only changed the oil once when some punk put sand in my dipstick. I certainly dont recommend abusing atv's like this, but I was a dumb 15 year old punk too. Since 1985 Honda has continued to put out beast after beast and you cannot find many who had problems with them. As for the 300EX, it is a great quad that is getting retired this year. The 300EX in stock condition will eat the dust of a Blaster and a Mojave. People forget where it stems from... The 250X... Another great quad. The 250X started the whole 300EX/400EX/250EX (a Recon hiding in 300EX clothes). Some might argue that the 200SX started the EX trend and although the 200SX was ground breaking, it was a pu$$ like the 250EX is.

Kawasaki: Has a reputation of building great machines too, but I think the sport quad engineers fell asleep about 13 years ago. Dont get me wrong, the Mojave is a screamer... I own a 2001 Mojave. The dual overhead cams, four vavle head and liquid cooling are still very advanced as far as quad go. They can be modded to keep up with a 400EX for a few hundred bucks. They are a bit clunkly for being only 379 lbs. but they are small and easy to manuver. Blasters, Warriors and 300EX's will wonder how your little 250 4 stroke flies... The list price is about $4100 but you can swing some deals save enough to mod the heck out of them.

Yamaha: I also own a 2001 Warrior and my brother just sold a 1998 Blaster. The Blaster was just that... a blast. The light 327 lb quad really flew and gave the Mojave a run for the money. It didnt have reverse and he always have problems with it. Needless to say the trouble was worth the amount of money he saved. We both have Warriors now and they stink. Top heavy, tippy, clunkly, no mid range power, outdated, hard to manuver, horrid in the tight trails, jumps like a tank... you get the picture. Aside from the electric start, I cannot figure what this quad offers other than a high price tag. Yamaha wishes they could build a quad like Honda.

Suzuki: Dont get me started. The last Suzuki I ownered was a 1985... Now that I mention it, like Kawasai, has Suzuki done anything in the sport sector in the last decade? My Suzuki back then was junk. I had more problems than I care to remember but assume the new sport quads have answered the Yugo-like quality.

So after 18 years experience with atv's, here are my top picks:

Kid quads: LT80 Quadsport (Yes Suzuki)
Beginners: 250EX
Intermediate: Mojave
Advanced Novice: 400EX
Duner: Banshee
Racer: 250R
Mudder: 650 Prairie

Get the Mojave..........

Old 09-18-2001, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the 300ex. Awesome quad for the money and you can sell it quick if need be.

Old 09-19-2001, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it all depends on what you need the atv for. If you are going to jump and race I would get the mojave. If you are going to race around the dunes i would get the blaster. Because it is a 2 stroke. If you are going to trail ride get the 300ex. If you are going to do all 3 then i would consider the mojave.