Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 2nd gear tranny problems HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I was riding and she just locked up felt like the chain got jamed. but now it won't move foward at all only reverse. when i start it it want to go in reverse well cutting it short could some one give me the damage price for a 2nd gear tranny fix before I haul it to the dealers. I know I'm not the only one this happened to. I'm PISSED!!

Old 09-19-2001, 07:21 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Sorry about what has happened! I have read where it could cost as much as $1,200. I guess you had no preyer problem? What aprox. production number is your Raptor? Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if you could fix it yourself. I don't know if you are that mechanically inclined or not, but I would think for $1200 I would try to fix it myself first. Does anyone know what causes this problem, Is it a broken part or something just out of whack or something.

Sorry for your problems
Paul

Old 09-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Range Rover

Jeffrey,

i just had the same problem, my Raptor is in the shop right now for the same reason. also i have work repair orders i could fax u for u to use to build a case against them. at first Yamaha didn't want to pay for the repairs so be ready for a fight. so after phone calls to Yamaha (1-800-962-7926) ask to talk to a supervisor, you'll get somewhere as far as them paying some of the bill. they picked up 80% of my bill. of corse when your on the phone with they are goning to deny the tranny problem. my repair bill was going to be $1300. let me know if u need that fax, i'll be more than happy to give u that, and let me know how it turns out.

eman40000@yahoo.com

Old 09-21-2001, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

E-Man, I take it that you're out of warranty period and Yamaha paid 80% for repair? That's really good considering it's a toy they have no contol over how it's used.

Jeff, are you the first owner ? Just riding and it locked up? There's a history. (sorry just trying to figure out what had happened) The best is to have your dealer call Yamaha for you. If the dealer stands behind you (back you up), Yamaha will cover it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-21-2001, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear of the problems, guys. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but I am damn glad I sold mine before my tranny had a chance to grenade! Saw the handwriting on the wall with this one. No way I'd pay $1300 to have a stealership "fix" my Raptor! I'd do it myself first. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2001, 04:20 AM
Trailblazer

I'm the first owner. I was riding it and it locked up and I had to ride it home in reverse about 3 miles. taking it to my dealers today. spoke to yamaha they said if it is a defect they will make good for it. and if your machine is not recked. they are pretty quiet about this problem at first they denied any problems.

Old 09-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

You guys didnt get any posts back telling you how you dont maintain your machines. im almost done with mine its gonna end up costing me about 300-400 in parts. (i welded the outer case to save money)

Old 09-21-2001, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

My machine is very well maintained and not abused so yamaha is making good for mine as long as it wasn't abused.

Old 09-21-2001, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

There's really no maintenance on tranny gears so it shouldn't matter (chain yes). In my experience with Yamaha, mainly they were interested in any unauthorized modifications (like engine power up, aftermarket airbox jet kit, beefed up clutch)and if I was racing it. Because these are the things that can contribute to failures that Yamaha has no control over. (Also I guess they don't want to sponcer non-factory racers other than contingency money).

I guess by now, everyone knows Raptor was a big success for Yamaha because they must have sold over 20,000 machines in one year and there is no other choice in the muscle ATV class other than DS which I wouldn't pay $4000.00 for it after riding them.

I'm sure there are few out there with tranny problems but we didn't hear 200 voices and if we did, that's only 1% (one out of 100 Rapters). In this forum, there may be half a dozen or so slamming Yamaha because they tore up their tranny and they want someone to pay for it. Maybe some are defect related?? Who knows, but I hope your dealer and Yamaha stood behind you because you are honest and good loyal customer.

I feel sorry for the ones who sold their Raptors because there's nothing that can compare (I'm convinced). Once you taste Raptor, you can't go back.

I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm keeping it because its the best sport quad yet. I'm thinking about buying another (anyone want to dump theirs cheap?) By the way, where is Honda in this game - I would be serious about Honda 680EX. Also, where's Yamaha's Raptor 426R Honda killer? I'm waiting for that one too.

Quick Reply: Raptor 2nd gear tranny problems HELP!