Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need all info on a WOLVERINE

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like someone else said, I think everyone has mentioned it's problems. However it's plus's far outweigh it's minus's. I have had a bent axle, and a torn front cv boot in the front. I do ride it hard and I ride it with alot of other different atv riders. And like someone else mentioned it alway's has everybody's eyes on it. I ride as fast if not faster than everyone I ride with. I know you were asking about the Lakota 300. I have a Wolverine 99, and ride with a guy who has a Lakota 300, and I kick his butt everytime. I have just purchased a plow waiting for the snow to fall to try it out.

Old 12-09-1999, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Just to join in on this top speed thing. For one No I do not own a Wolverine BUT one of my friends do, and I must say I am really impressed with the machines versitality. I have gone down the road in my truck with the wolverine RIGHT NEXT TO ME and he was Going 55-56mpr, the other guy that was with him was on a warrior and he topped out at 61mph. We did this on a paved dead end road that is about 2miles long. Idon't care what any mag says I know becauses we tested it ourselves.
brad

Old 12-09-1999, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

go smoke another foreman, or buy a truck with an accurate speedo.

Old 12-10-1999, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to go with ForemanES on this. I doubt his speedometer in his vehicle is off. 1mph at the most probably. Magazines always vary and are tested in different conditions. Personal tests are much better than just taking someone elses word on it, and another big part is honesty. A lot of people stretch the truth, and some just plain lie. I've read things that said a Banshee will do 75mph, and I have also seen it printed that a Banshee would do 65mph. Which is right? Find a cop with a radar gun, and fly by his *** at top speed. You will get an accurate reading printed on your ticket! I've had 80's model yamaha 200s and 225s that did 45 mph. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Wolverine is faster than those two. I don't own this wolverine or any other Yamaha so wy would I try and lie to help them out? Atv connection says that a 400 prarie will do 56-57. Don't you think that the Wolverine is a little closer in comparison?

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-10-1999, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree that the Wolverine is a fast bike. I raced a Quadmaster 500 and stayed ahead of him and he was reading over 55mph on the speedo. The Wolverine is a great bike, light, peppy and super comfortable. However, I have had some problems. The carb blew off it three times from factory installation problems (clamp to head connection not tight enough - spacer on clamp must be cut and clamp re-tightened.) I also had problems with the back brake sticking on, ruining the caliper and the disc and the brake shoes.. Yamaha was great with repairs, covering the caliper and disc. Even with the problems, it is the best bike I have ever owned (between my father and I we have 8 ATVs, all of the rest of them Suzukis.) i don't think you can go wrong with this bike.

Old 12-10-1999, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'll toss in my two cents on the speed thing, my stock Wolverine would run 52mph on the highway as recorded by my Garmin gps 111, with 25" tires,pipe and jet kit it would run 58, I weight 200lb the atv has a winch and a hardpack with about 50lb. of stuff in it. gps doesn't lie!!

Old 12-10-1999, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2000 Wolverine and I love it. Great 4 wheeler for all types of riding. As far as top speed...I don't know what's wrong with the Wolverine that's only going 45, mine runs just a shade over 50 (completley stock).

Old 12-11-1999, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would agree with Harold I have a stock 95 wolverine and my friend has a foreman 450 es his stops at 49 accoriding to his spedo and I slowly pull away from him so 52 sounds pretty acurate oh yeah I weight 280 so maybe im holding my little wolverine back some.

Old 12-11-1999, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

I think a big part of the reason for all the confusion about the top speed of this bike is the fact that it is VERY sensitive to enviornmental conditions. I notice that when it's warm out, my bike has a lot more power than in the cold. Also, people on this board are from all over north america, and ride at different altitudes, use different gas, etc, etc. These all have an effect on top end. Another factor that isn't really being taken into consideration, is the size of tires, either on the bike itself, or on the vehicle clocking the speed. Remember, bigger tires are like a larger final gear in the drive train which equals a faster speed at any given RPM. Therefore, if a spedometer is calibrated with a certain size tire, and then larger tires are put on, the speedo will no longer be accurate.

Old 12-11-1999, 07:35 PM

There are so many variables that affect top speed it is difficult to compare even with 2 Wolverines. Elevation, fuel, state of tune, weight they all play a role. Many magazines use a limited distance dirt road for top speed testing (I have seen one Wolverine test that used a few hundred yards of an UPHILL dirt road) where as individuals may have access to a 1 mile or more stretch of pavement to wring every last MPH.

------------------
Tom Bukowski