Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1999, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any upkeep on the machine besides changing oil and an occasional wash? I have read the manual in case they had some grease fittings and everything looks sealed, maintenance should be low on the quad. Thanks!--------- Kyle Kimball---------

------------------

Old 12-02-1999, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kyle,
This really doesn't answer your question but since you're 00 Kodiak owner, I was wondering if you or any other owner has had any problems with the rear brake squeaking. My dealer said dirt and grit can make it do this. He cleaned it but it is still squeaking. It only does this periodically. He said he would order a new rotor and replace it. I hope he's able to get the part. He ordered a speedometer for me and about a week and half later he called to tell me it was back ordered and didn't know when it would be in. Other than the brake deal, it has been a great machine and I love it. Any problems with yours?

Old 12-02-1999, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

I have had no problems with mine in any way. As far as the brakes they squeak when they get wet. If you have used the brakes a lot and the rotor is hot, then when you run it into cold water, you will get a crystolized brake which can cause a squeal often. I have worked on cars for many years and thats what happens to them. I like the way the machine handles and rides in all, it seems to be real economical on fuel and sporty to.

------------------

Old 12-02-1999, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kyle,
I mean there is a squeak with it just moving, not when the brakes are applied. I have not had it in any water at all. Here in Mississippi, I would probably have to drive off in the river to find any. It has been extremely dry. Has the makings of a pitiful duck season. Any other suggestions of what might be the problem?

Old 12-03-1999, 01:10 AM
Range Rover

Kyle,

you also want to change the differential oil when you change the motor oil. It takes all of fifteen minutes to do and is a no brainer. Do front and back if you have a 4x4. Manual gives the type you need. I believe it's a 90 weight hypoid gear oil. I have had zero problems with my Kodiak.

Old 12-05-1999, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

If the brake is draging then you will get a squeak. You might check the caliper and see if it is not releaseing all the way I have seen the calipers hold the pads to tight against the rotor and cause them to squeak. If you think that might be the problem, then take a screwdriver and push the caliper in just a little and try it, dont use the brake until you have rode it to check it out. Some times the brakes will not release the fluid back, which will cause a brake drag.

------------------