Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Extremely annoying banshee problem. Sticky throttle. I need serious input!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I went riding today, and had this stupid problem come back. At the very first (a couple minutes), the shee was running great, then it all started. When I would let off the gas, instead of going back down to idle, it would stay slightly above a couple seconds then drop back to idle...so I thought something was sticking somewhere. Cleaned the carbs, re routed the cable...then a guy riding with us said it sounded like a lean low end. So I tried playing with the air screw. It didn't do very much...but it did change a little (stayed on that transition moment above idle for less time). but it still sticked. So raised the needle one notch, and it seemed perfect (I rode for 1 minute...the longest ride of the day!), and I crossed a 1" deep 2 foot long water stream...and it sticked again. This time, it was different...it would revv around midrange (not slightly above idle)...but still it stayed there until I shut it off...I then dumped the shee inthe trailer, and luckily, the guy we had just met let me and Xplor ride his KX250...it made my day...not like the crapshee did!

Now this is desperate. Wether someone comes with a real solution (or experience) to explain to me what I'm missing and what's happening, wether this crapshee is on sale for a motocross. I'm sick of those *ucking troubles. I don't know if I did ride twice without a problem. I'm really sick of it.

Old 10-07-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Zorro, sometimes mine does the same thing. Especailly when it's cooler outside. Usually mine goes away after I get above 2nd gear though. One time it started doing it at the bottom of a hill, and the best thing I could come up with was to shift gears and let it rev out.. Well, I hit 6th gear and they were still spinning.. So I had to clutch it. Now I don't know if it's just me, but I dont like hearing my motor rev to the sky. It's pretty annoying yes, but usually mine goes away. Good luck

Old 10-07-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it does go away after a little (last time a couple seconds...but what I'm wondering is WHY it does so! It sounds like you had the same exact thing, cold and wet weather...
The problem is thatI won't ride a bike that acts so. I don't like the idea of coming in a tight corner and the engine doesn't cut out...no way!

Oh, my cables are lubed a lot (filled with WD40)...so it shouldn't be it.

Old 10-07-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-07-2001, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

my old shee used to do this..

it was the y connector for the carb cables. It wasn't sealed completely, water would get down in one side of the tube, then not let the slide move back quickly. It'd dry out the y connector and then seal the heck out of it with some silicon... did the trick on mine

Brad

Old 10-08-2001, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

I agree with BansheeBrad. Check your throttle cable where it splits off into 2 lines. There is a plastic piece under the rubber right where it goes from one into 2, that is suppose to keep the cables in place. If it breaks it will cause your cables to stick partially open sometimes when you let off the throttle and sometimes you won't have a problem because the cable didn't get stuck. My throttle was sticking on mine and that was the problem. I just bought a new cable and now everything is fine. The way you describe your problem, it sounds the exact same.

Old 10-08-2001, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a different area to look at. If you are still using the stock air filter, you are supposed to grease the airbox/airfilter connection. If you use too much grease, it can get sucked into the carb and slow down the slides return. This happenend to me and it was very frusterating. I did not notice the grease even when I was changing needle clip. It doesn't take much to cause this to happen. When I let off the throttle, it would take 2 or 3 seconds to return to idle. It was intermittent and I would also experience an occasional bogging at low RPM.
I switched to a Pro-Design and fixed my problem.

Old 10-08-2001, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have the stock setup anymore. It's a pro flow like K&N.
I don't think the air filter oil could do the same thing as the grease...or could it?

Old 10-08-2001, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

It could. If you have a lot on and it is cold outside, it might just hang up a slide for a second or two. It might be worth a look. Do you have filter oil puddled inside airbox bottom?