Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 throttle sticking when I turn wheels all the way to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need suggestions please...

When I turn my wheel all the way to the right, it engages the throttle slightly. Checked the throttle "play", there is already too much, so it's not that. I even adjusted it to give it a lot more play and it still didn't get rid of the problem.
I tried to trace the cable back to the carb, but I loose it somewhere around the steering column before it goes down under the tank. When you watch the cable as I turn the wheel all the way to the right, it actually stretches. Seems like it is too short, but maybe there is a clamp too tight or it's pinched somewhere I can't see.

Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions. If I can't fix it, I'll wait until my 20 hr service and let them deal with it. Makes me a little nervous, b/c if it really sticks sometime, I could be in for a scary ride![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2001, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I have noticed this also on mine its just not that bad but does do it,you could be right there could be just a clamp to tight.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2001, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I have had that happen to me also, I took it to the dealer and picked it up a day later and it was the same, all they did was put more slack in my cable, "I could of done that" So, I looked into it myself........Its seems that the cable is a little too short, so what I did was pull it tight from the carb, then used a plactic tie rap and clamped it to the handlebars, it works good, so far hope that helps,,,,,,, I also, clamped the fitting where the black cable runs ito the throttle housing better,,,,,,,,,,,Rodmaster

Old 10-19-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

I can't believe they wouldn't have checked something so simple as turning the wheel both ways to be sure the throttle doesn't stick. Both at the factory in designing and after each bike is set up!!!!! Could they have been so stupid as to install a cable too short to reach? I'm surprised. Could be a real problem if one of these actually sticks on top of being too short. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll wait till the 20 hr check up and lodge a complaint. I will tell them I DO NOT want more slack in the throttle as a quick fix. I knew they would try that one.

Old 10-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

IF THE CABLE REALLY IS TO SHORT,I THINK THEY SHOULD DO A RE-CALL TO FIX THE PROB.BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT. IT MAY COST'EM A LITTLE MONEY BUT IT'LL SHOW GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE