Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trouble with Yamaha corp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, about 2 months ago, my 2001 raptor blew 2nd gear,it sounded like the chain was skipping a link. at the time it was still under warrenty. I brought it into the local dealer to have it repared under warrenty. They just called me and said that they won't fix it because 1. first of all it is a race bike and never had a warrenty. and 2. it's clutch plates were worn so now it is considered abuse. First of all, i know it has a 6-month warrenty. Also, I know that the clutches are known to be weak, and wear out early, i ride this machine every weekend since i had it. Also, i know there is a problem with the Raptor's trannys. Now i called yamaha and they said my dealer called up and said there wasen't a defect found in the transmission, so they won't cover the repair. My dealer says that there isn't a problem with the 2001 Raptor's clutches and trannys!! Also, to get my quad out, they want 10 hrs worth of labor at $75 an Hour! So, i need you people to post if you have had problems with your 2001 raptors. If you could, please put down your VIN number so i can call yamaha and give em the facts. please help thanks

Old 10-20-2001, 10:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Do some research on this....you will find numerous posts concerning this same issue. From what I have read, Yamaha usually fixes the problem. You should find lots of names and VIN numbers of guys had the same problem. Contact them and get their names and #'s. I would bet that they are more than willing to help someone that is in the same situation they once were with Yamaha!
It is even under warranty! THis is pathetic! The Raptor DOES in fact have a warranty (the web site states this too)....this is in your paperwork from when you bought the quad. The clutch is a normal wear-and-tear item, so your dealer/Yamaha can jerk you around with that....but the transmission....absolutely not a "normal" maintenance item. Remember this when you buy another atv/dirt bike (THE MANUFACTURER WON'T CARE, BUT YOU WILL HAVE A LITTLE MORE PEACE OF MIND)! Also, the dealer has a lot to do with getting things like this fixed...in short...DO NOT buy anything from that dealer again either!

Old 10-20-2001, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply! What would be my first step in taking care of this problem? I need as many people as possible to reply and tell me there raptor's problem, and how they got it fixed. Also, anyone who can provide vin numbers, ect will help when i am talking to yahama. I heard that you have to talk to a supervisor at yamaha is this true? All i need to know is how do i go about getting yamaha to cover this.

Old 10-20-2001, 10:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

pick here
THis is a recent post with lots of info. Contact eman400....he has been through this and could give a LOT of useful info.

Old 10-20-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Try to deal with yamaha your self.
The dealer has alot of say so in this.
Also $75 is excessive, Don't fold.
You have to many rites and nothing I see so far makes me think this dealer is worth a damn!!

Old 10-20-2001, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

check this site out:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292362129

this guy went through the same thing and got some results. Don't know how to get a hold of him, but might be on that site.

Old 10-21-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I don't realy know how to help, but here is my opinion on the situation. The clutch isn't normaly covered in a warranty like garyc660R said. That dosn't mean it can't be though, as mine was on my C-Dale and my quad was around 3 months old. Your dealer has alot off pull on stuff like this. Try to be nice to them, but I bet you have already tried that. So I would get the bill (so they cant charge you anymore after you pee them off) and then tell them everything that they don't want to here. Things like "I'll never buy anything from you sorry people again", and that you are going to tell every one you know about how sorry they are ect. If you have any cash,pull it out and tell them that you were going to buy ?? from them but now you would drive out of your way or get the part from a mail order company. Tell them that you posted a message in this forum about them for everyone to see. I would also tell Yamaha the same things. Now about the $75.00 p/hr. rate. call and see how much their hourly rate is, but don't let them know who you are. I garantee you'll get like a $40-$50 answer. Then tell them who you are and see what they say. I know we all have are likes and dislikes and quad preferances but stuff like this realy upsets all of us ATVers. I mean for some shop,dealer or worse of all a manufacture taking advantage of a fellow ATVer makes me sick. They just don't understand that even though it helps them out now to do this stuff, what is it going to do for them in the long run thats helpfull NOTHING! They want gain anymore business like they would if they were honest caring people. They will gain some from people that dont know about them but they will loose alot of their established customers and a few that these people have warned. Sorry I can't help more. Believe me I wish I could.

Old 10-21-2001, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

what a shame. exactly what i fear from my quad. i thought i fried the clutch in it the last time i rode it but it came back. i dont really know what to so or have any concrete advice. i would take out a big add in the local newspaper and post your problems with the dealer. lol

Old 10-21-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I wonder if you don't mind telling us what your vin is or at least the last 6 numbers. I am curious if anyone thinks that yamaha has cured some of the problem in the later 2001's.

Paul

Old 10-21-2001, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Sure man, my last 6 digits are 014872. Thanks for all the help guys, i still was hoping to hear from someone who has went through this and got out on top, and how! thanks

Quick Reply: Trouble with Yamaha corp!