Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

make an atv road legal? In maine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possable to make an ATV road legal in the State of Maine? or any state? I swear I have seen some with windshields and mirrors and stuff. DMV says yes State police told me Absolutely not. Actually The State police were rude and ignorant twards me. What gives??

Old 10-26-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on what ATV it is...there are some helpful coincidences. Like the banshee...if you take an RZ wiring, you will have a street legal electrical system. Adding to this DOT lights, most likely nerfs, tire bumpers and fenders (and a windshield), DOT tires (like Mini Austin 10&quot, you shouldn`t be that far from..say..a Prowler. I believe up here in Quebec, it can be done. We have the Campagna TRex, a 3 wheel car with ZX11 engine, it has no windshield...etc.
The best thing to do is talk to as many people as possible, maybe you will someday fall upon one helpful guy, that will tell you what`s written, and if you can go around the rules. I`m probably gonna get informed in Quebec. I`d love to ride around on the shee...

Old 10-26-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

In wyoming, in order to title your atv, you have to pay the sales tax and register it and they give you a license plate.

Legally to ride on public lands in wyoming you have to have insurance, regristration and a plate, or a sticker from another state.

I just did mine and when it snows, I plan to take it out on the street. It is technically not legal, no turn signals, no mirrors and no horn, but I will take it through my neighberhood and have some fun.

I am not sure in maine, but I would keep checking on the laws.

Paul

Old 10-26-2001, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been wondering the same thing. Look at the older Harley's ... they don't have signal lights and most of the time you see them rolling down the road without a headlight even. I could use arm signals on the raptor just as easily as those Harley guys do! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
As far as I know, windshields aren't a requirement either.

I could've sworn I saw someone post on here awhile back that said something in their sig about their quad being "street legal".

I wouldn't use mine to pick up groceries or anything, but sure would be nice to hit the trails down the road without worrying about getting nailed getting there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]