Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster4Kids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys-question. Have a 10 year old about to graduate from a Suzuki LT80 to a Blaster. I personally ride RED, but they dont make any decent kid sized bikes-yet. So, im looking at used 94-96 Blaster. Does anything change on Blaster year-to-year. the 00 seems the same as the 90 to me - except for the colors. When buying 2stroke(im new at this 2stroke world) what to look for in a used bike? Or should i care? Since i hear 2 strokes are easy to rebuild compared to my Thumpper. Can i expect to use a blaster for 1-2 years without any major problems. Any input would be great. Give me your horror stories or Good news - so i can prepare myself for Yamaha.....

Old 01-13-2000, 03:44 AM
Trailblazer

Agree. A Blaster may be a bit much for a 10 year old. But then I know a 10 year old that handles a 250R fine. Depends on the skill level.

Look for a Blaster with a stock pipe. It's easer to learn on. Check for the normal things and don't buy something that has been beat on.

Depending on how often it will be used and the condishion, 3 years without any problems is normal. And it's about the easiest quad to work on. Far better then the LT80 with all that plastic. Takes me about 45 minutes to drop a new piston in. This is the quad to teach someone proper maintenance and repair.

But beware of the backyard wrench jockey's Blaster. Because they are so easy to work on, a lot of people attempt to fix them all by themselves, and not wanting to spend the 25 bucks for a service manual, or by the proper tools, do it wrong. I have seen heads with missing nuts, putting the counterbalancer on wrong, (that will shake the frame apart) reusing gaskets and then wondering why it keeps melting the topend. Why use a case puller tool when jamming a screwdriver in and pounding it with a hammer works just as well? Not all wrench jockeys are bad. A lot do good work. Just seems that all the bad ones, prefer to mess with Blasters.

YFS200

[This message has been edited by BC_YFS200 (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-13-2000, 02:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are really considering a blaster, and are a honda fan look at a 300ex. Compairable to a blaster in size, similar power, a 4 stroke engine that will be there to see him graduate collage, and adults can ride and have fun too. I know a 12 year old that rides one and loves it for its electric start, reverse gear, and hydrolic trouble free brakes. The machine will cost you more money than a blaster though. A used honda 250x is a compairable machine and is very inexpensive.

Old 01-13-2000, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

A Blaster has a lot of kick for a lightweight 10 year old. Oh well, it's your choice. The blaster is unchanged from '90 to date. The '88 and '89 do not have floor boards or protection from catching your feet in the rear tires, so stay away. I've had three seizures with 3 different blasters last year, always with guest riders. You can't lug along in these air-cooled two strokes or they will overheat. I properly jetted bike should not have these problems if it is ridden right. Keep the RPMs on the pipe where it is most efficient. Don't get a bike with a pipe upgrade for a kid because it significantly narrows the power band making it harder to run at lower RPM and requires tighter shifting control. I don't know how well a ten year old will handle clutch and shifting or even reaching all the controls on a blaster. I bought several used ones and looked for owners who babied them. Usually women. Look for obvious signs of wear (original tires, touched up paint etc). Good luck.

Old 01-13-2000, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought my 10 year old son a Honda Fourtrax 90 for Christmas and it fits him fine, and even includes a year or so of growing room. I don't know how big your 10 year old is, his/her level of riding experience (my son is a beginner), but I must say I'm extremely impressed with the quality of this machine. I guess your decision would really depend on the rider, but I wouldn't get a Blaster without having your kid ride both quads--in my opinion I also think the Blaster is a little too much for such a young kid.

Old 01-13-2000, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Dominator: Excellent Comment. Actually, im having 2nd doubts - i too had a 300EX at one time. It is a great bike. I think if i do the 4stroke thing - i may wait another year for him to get bigger- since the size of the 250x is larger than the blaster.
Blasters are cool too. Especially for the size - if i beging to look at a newer blaster like 96-99 - then the price is close if not more than the next step up. 300ex or comperable. Someone needs to make a 200EX version - 4stroke.... or Yamaha needs to finally Change their 12 year old design on this Blaster.... Wake up Yamaha..

thanks guys.

Old 01-13-2000, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

not sure i am assuming that you can back the throttle restriction screw out and adjust it to his skill level, I know you can do this on the wolverine and other yamahas maybe hondas too i dunno, someone with a honda will have to answer that. This would open the door for the 300ex.

Old 01-14-2000, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, blasters do have a throttle restrictor that you can set to keep the possibility of wheelies down. Also I don't recommend a twist throttle, the thumb throttles are more uncomfortable but the twist throttles are dangerous if you don't have previous experience.

Old 01-14-2000, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I have had my mojave for a few years now and i am 13. I first got it when i was about 9 and had no trouble with it. If he is as big as i was at the age of ten he should have no problems.

Old 01-15-2000, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

A 300EX is a lot larger. The problem with putting a small kid on a large quad, even a slow one, is that they don't learn how to properly move their body on the seat because even if they did, it does nothing. They just sit like a sack of potatoes, hanging on for the ride. Makes jumping harder because of the lack of control.

I made the move from an LT80 to a Blaster. The Blaser was scary and large. It would have been even harder if I had not had experance on larger utility quads before.

I do agree that Honda should make something. But a 200cc thumper would get laughed off the track. Yamaha an't perfect, but for a training quad, it will get the job done. And you can fix all the gripes anybody has about it.

YFS200