Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Silver paint plastic problems? Which color is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cruiser, if i were to take my car off roading and mudding, through rocks and brush, I know damn well that my plastic bumpers would scratch. Also my uncle owns a body shop, and I've seen what happens to paint on plastic bumpers after some abuse, not an appealing sight. The point I am making is I plan on using this machine to it's extreme, and I'll be damned if I am going to worry if my seven thousand dollar machine looks like $h!!!t in a years time. The only Silver grizzly I saw had a huge knick taken out of the left front plasic ,under the shifter, and that was caused through shipping because they place the wheels on the foot pegs causing rubbing against the plasic, end result was chipped paint. Yamaha had this problem when they first issued the "camo" style. The paint was causing the plastic to become brittle and shatter if it was struck the right way. Yamaha honored it and I am sure as knowsalot says yamaha will honor this problem too. What they did in that case was give everyone green plastics, then once the camo was fixxed, they sent them those plastics as well. So everyone made out with two sets of plastics, took about 6 months to a year for the whole process to happen, but hey you never know all the silver grizz members may make out like bandits. good luck to all my silver grizz brothers.

Old 11-02-2001, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

I looked at the Sportsman HOX when I was buying my HO, it appears to be metallic blue molded plastic, not painted like the Grizzly. I bought the new metallic green which is also molded plastic, not painted. It does get scratches in the plastic, but still retains it's color. I too believe painted plastic is a bad idea for something that gets this kind of abuse. Looks good on the showroom floor...

Old 11-03-2001, 01:49 AM
Range Rover

showar94 ur from rochelle park nj??? lol im from roselle park nj. Where do u ride at??

Old 11-03-2001, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

I've seen some pictures of blue Grizzlies from some of our Canadian posters here, and to me it's the perfect color for a Grizzly. I even asked my dealer about special ordering me a blue one. He said that he can't order a blue Grizzly, but he can order the blue plastic. I may see if he might swap the plastic if I buy a new one, but I doubt that he will be interested until he quits selling every one he gets instantly...

P.S.- Canadians can get blue Kodiaks too, they look great!

Good luck,
Lorrin

Old 11-03-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen a blue one here at our dealer and it is relly nice. Definitly would be my first choice based on looks alone. But there are other factors to consider:
-When I'm hunting I like being less visible.
-When I'm fishing, camping, etc. I like being less visible to other people (theives, vandals) when I leave it stashed in the woods)
-ATV and snowmachine theives are bold and busy in this town. The more eye-catching your machine is the more of a target it is.
Considering I'll be buying for function rather than looks, I'll probably get biege or green.
Anyone hear if the green turns white if it gets creased like Lyle1 said about the blue?

Old 11-04-2001, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Heres the link on my site of the Blue Canadian Grizzly 660. I find it looks pretty cool but I still haven't seen any other colors yet!

Blue Grizzly 660

Old 11-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

That is a nice looking quad! If a guy could not get that color around here, (which you can't apparently), I would go with the Beige, or maybe Dark Green. I might have to call my brother tonight, and ask him if he traded in his 2000 Kodiak for the new Grizzly. Have to see how he likes it. And see what color he got!

Old 11-05-2001, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

raptorrider01,

i had to look twice when I saw where you were from. I just went riding this last weekend up in oneonta NY. my buddy owns land up there and it is surrounded by a huge amount of state land. I usually go to jersey city, take his raptor there, and we used to go down to blue lake, you here of it? good times.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

I personally think that blue does not fit that bike, it looks out of place. Definitely two thumbs down.

Old 11-06-2001, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

I thought the same thing when I saw the blue Grizz Showar94...I still love the Silver. When Clear-Guard gets the Grizz covering straightened out, I'll order the laminate to protect the paint.
If I had a second choice, I go with the red!

Tony

Quick Reply: Grizzly Silver paint plastic problems? Which color is best?