Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Silver paint plastic problems? Which color is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone experienced problems with their new Grizzly SIlvertip plastic? I have heard rumours that the plastic is just painted silver, and the silver can flake or scratch off very easily..is this true? Maybe I am better just to buy a red one..I guess the blue one has problems if the plastic is marked, it turns white. I wonder how the dark green is standing up. I don't abuse my quad, it is just that when your out in the woods the willow branches scratch everything so bad, so I want to pick a colour that shows the scratches the least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2001, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend Jeff owns the new silver Grizz,and yes,it is scratched right down to the black plastic in a few spots.Im going to be in the market for one soon,however,it wont be a painted on color like the silver is.I ride my ATVs thru various types of terrains,and I dont want to have to ride it like im going to church for fear of scratching the color down to the black.Personally,I'd shy away from this type of painted on color.

Bill

Old 11-01-2001, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

my first choice was the silver griz, but after i visited the local dealer I saw that the paint was baddly chipped just from shipping and decided to get the beige color. Great choice I feel because I haven't seen any quads in beige, at least where I ride, so gotta go for the different one. My opinion is Red is honda, green-just to many of them, silver sucks, hunter's addition you can't find till next year (at least not in jersey). So your best bet would be beige. That was my choice and I am extremely happy. great machine too.

Old 11-01-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Are there different colours available for Canada and US grizzlies? The brochure I got at the local Yamaha dealer doesn't menetion the biege. Different websites, magazines, or brochures show different colour options. Anyone know for sure what's available where?

Old 11-01-2001, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

I believe Yamaha created the beige for the US market only and blue for Canada only. All other colors are available in both countries. For the riding I have done I feel that my Silver has held up well. I got the paint code from the dealer and figured if it gets to ruff I can have it repainted and it will look like I just picked it up. With the solid colors once there sratched up your out of luck. figure $600.00-plus for new plastic or $200.00 in new paint. I'm very happy with my choice. My second choice was definetly going to be Beige.

Old 11-01-2001, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

beige is nice and cruizer you are a much calmer guy then me. I feel that if i spend 7 grand on a quad, it better never chip. Scratches to plastic are a fact of riding, but chipping of paint is insane. Who would think of painting over plastic. Didn't yamaha know it would chip off, I am just extremely disappointed in them, but I love my beige. Had no clue that they were blue in canada. I wonder if that looks good?

Old 11-01-2001, 10:40 PM
The Facility

We have seen this problem with every silver Grizzly that we sold so far. Yamaha is longer making the silver Grizzly, and has no plans for any in the future. I don't know how long you have had yours and I don't know what the attitude of your dealer is, but we had our customer's plastic replaced with solid color plastic. No, we didn't pay for it, YAMAHA DID! You might want to talk your dealer about a warranty claim because Yamaha is replacing them at customer's request with any color the customer chooses{even the expensive camo}. Now I should mention that Yamaha has not made a service bulletin regarding the problem, but if a customer asks for the change, they will honor it.

Old 11-01-2001, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

I guess there are two issues on the Silver paint. Chipping and scratching. Mine has not chipped whatsoever. A couple of minor scratches common with riding. I would be very upset if mine was chipping kind of like GM trucks in the mid 80's when they stopped using primer. My pop's Suburban looked aweful. I have found the paint more durable than expected. Most of my scratches are only on the surface and don't go through. I even wheeled out a couple. Mine may have improvements since I had to wait 5 weeks to get it. I also notice mine does not have any of the other problems listed on the boards. Sputtering, over heating, poor braking or bad front bearing.

showar94 - You made the comment "Who would think of painting over plastic". Look at just about every car on the road you pass and probably one in your driveway. Just a point not a slam or anything.

I believe and don't quote me on this but I heard the Polars Sportsman X (metalic blue)is also painted. I wonder if their having the same type of problems.

I guess I knew before hand I was getting a painted machine so I was prepared to just deal with the scratches. I could have changed my mind after the order was placed. I also don't blaze new trails each time I go out. Much the same as I don't blaze trails with my 2000 Dakota 4x4 (painted).

Jeff

Old 11-01-2001, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

KNOWSALOT -

How did your dealership handle the switch? Did you guys change out the plastic and keep the old or did the customers do it themselves? Spare Beige plastic would be nice to throw in the attic.

Jeff

Old 11-01-2001, 11:23 PM
The Facility

As with all the manufacturers, they hardly ever request a return on parts being replaced on warranty claims, but Yamaha wants all this stuff back. I guess they don't want it to end up in your attic. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Silver paint plastic problems? Which color is best?