Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dealer Questions and Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2000, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunderthud... Spend any time in the saddle of a F105?

Those Polaris quads may be little sedate after stick time over No. Vietnam, eh Jim?

Back to the subject though, I really don't blame dealers for the no test ride policy. Most of my unpleasant dealer experiences have to do with poor service or false price advertising. In Denver CO, several dealers run newspaper ads with specific prices, (e.g. 5400 for a new 450es) and they won't sell you one for that amount.

I did find one that would sell for the advertised price and bought a machine from him and have since done quite a bit of business there even though I live 200 miles away. Excellent dealer- Vickery motorsports on So Parker rd.

I guess there is more to it than a test drive and I know how sticky liability can be. I sure wouldn't rule out a dealer who doesn't allow test rides, you might be missing out on a good deal or quality dealership.

It really is like flying blind, buying a machine you haven't ridden, but will a quick spin around the lot tell you anything anyway?
I take trips with other owners, so I have had the luxury of trying out many different machines in the woods. Clubs, trail events and rental machines all offer avenues one could pursue.

[This message has been edited by tdhusker (edited 01-16-2000).]

Old 01-16-2000, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a fair share of my sorted youth flying the 'Thud.' The rest of my sorted youth can't be discussed in a public forum!

But to the question/gripe/problems etc.

I felt as though the dealers I visited treated me as a 12 year old kid with his pennies on the counter. I was making a substantial investment in his merchandise. I felt as though I was entitled to know exactly what I was buying.

I have been riding my 1988 Suzuki for over 12 years. I wanted to replace it with as reliable a unit. I wanted to get my son something that he wanted. He had shown to me that he was capable of driving safely. I wanted to know whatever machine I was buying for him and the machine for me was an appropriate fit.

I have never done anything blindly. And buying a quad without first seeing if we could live with it, even for 5 or 15 minutes in the parking lot. And being told pay up and take it is not how I am willing to spend my money.

The dealers are in business to sell to the 18 year old kid and the 50 somethings like me. I expect everyone to be treated equally, and to be able to spend their money wisely. And I expect to be treated with some kind of respect by people trying to sell me anything. Money can be exchanged for goods and services by anyone. I do not think that anyone should be told, put up or shut up by a dealer.

And about a life of privilege....I think three straight years on the honor roll deserves some recognition. What he gets for his 21st birthday is the bill for college! But for now, I can do something for him to show how proud we are. He earned it.

B/W,
Jack

[This message has been edited by thunderthud (edited 01-17-2000).]