Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Beat the Raptor to death at Waynoka..Broke silencer mounts, leaking oil tank....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 12:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Waynoka, OK this weekend and had a blast. The oil tank had been leaking before the trip, but I JB welded it. That didn't hold I geuss, and the thing leaked a small amount of oil all weekend. I just kept checking it. One thing I did notice is that sometimes when pulling the dipstick the tank would be completely full. If you let it idle for a while it would go down. Is this normal? I know I had the correct amount in there. Anyone else ever notice this? It had me freaked out for a little while. Until it went down to reading the right amount of oil. Anyone else have there oil tank start leaking aroung the mount on the bottom of the tank for the oil feed line. It looks as if it's just stressed from jumping it or something, and leaking around the mount at the tank. I JB welded it up pretty good, and it still leaks. I haven't taken it back off to see if it's leaking in the same place yet, or if the JB weld didn't hold. It should have have held up to this problem. I've seen it fix much worse problems. I cleaned the area absolutely perfect, so it shouldn't have had a problem bonding. Also is there a replacement aftermarket tank for the raptor? I don't want to spend $180 on another tank just to have it leak.

Also my CT Racing pipe broke the mounts for the silencer. Both of the mounts snapped off, and the pipe fell off. Hopefully I can find someone to weld the aluminum mounts back on. I plan on putting some rubber pieces on each side of the mount to give it some flex when mounted. I think that with it being mounted directly solid to the frame was too much for the mounts to take. They finally just broke. Any suggestions here?

Other than that it jumped awesome, did well at the drag races, and hauled me anywhere I wanted to go. Luckily the pipe didn't fall off until the last night right before we was going to hang it up anyways.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-05-2001, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Probably not related, but when I first got mine, I lost the o ring from the dip stick first time I checked it. It fits loose. Replaced it with a thicker one and it fits tight.

Old 11-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

seems you and me have the EXACT same problems.
my stock oil tank cracked around the drain plug on the bottom and leaked oil out, so i took it to a machine shop and they tried welding it up, but it still leaked. they did it for free so i wasnt too mad. so i found Pingry Pro Design makes an aftermarket oil tank for them. its real heavy duty, has like 8 cooling tubes running through it, and holds like an extra quart. it was kinda expensive though at about $300, and it didnt fit very well. it would hit my steering stem but i just put some washers on it to shim it out. well i polished it up and its great. it really does help on cooling. i dont think the fan has ever come on since i put the tank on.
and another thing about the oil being overfull, i was freakin out abou that too. i would put the right amount of oil and adding an extra quart cause it holds that much more, and sometimes when i check it, its full to the top or it flows out when i pull the dipstick. i dunno what the deal is. so now i just change my oil regular and just dont check it.

Old 11-05-2001, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

oh, and another thing, when r u planning on goin back to waynoka? i go all the time and am planning to go Nov. 21-25 during thanksgiving.

Old 11-06-2001, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

I might make it to Waynoka for Thanksgiving weekend. It depends if I get it all fixed by then. Thanks for the info. on the oil tank. Does Pingry have a web site?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-06-2001, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Oil Expands as it heats up, and it will also migrate from the lower end of the motor to the resivior when you run the engine after it has sat for longer than a few hours.