Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Valve adjustment again? already? Hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what sup fellas

Here is the story. I had my Raptors Valves adjusted after the first 20 hours back in last January. since then i have ridden the bike about 10 times. I mean 10 good riding days worth when i say 10 times. I had just put on my new Yoshi Pipe and noticed a ticking sound and i know what valves sound like when they need adjustment. So i am wondering if when i brought it in for the first 20 hour service, if they even touched my valves. they said they did, and they charged me for it...but why is it ticking now? anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-27-2001, 07:45 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Before I brought mine in for the 30 hour valve adjustment I marked mine and looked at the surfaces around the areas where the work would have taken place. Mine was done.
Chet

Old 11-27-2001, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

I took mine if for the adjustment, But, After having bad experiances in the past from yamaha, I purposly loosened slightly, and marked bolts. For me to sit on the quad, I could not tell if it needed adjustment or not. But, I wanna follow the Manufacturer's recomendations.

I know this is wrong to set them up. But, It's my hard earned money, I'm tired of gettin ripped off.

Besides if they would have done there job, then I could honestly say They did a great job on my Raptor. If They passed the test, Kudo's to them. They met the standards of what is expected From a Customer. This however was not the case.

Took Pics of the neccisary markings and bolts to do the adjustment.
Sent raptor in to the yamaha dealer, 187 dollars and a week later I now look at my engine / plastics. Not one bolt was turned and or touched. The marks on the bolts are the same.
I then brought this to there attention, and they said well if the torque ratings from the factory were correct, then when we tightened them it should go back to the same torque setting, hense the bolts appearing not to me touched.

This upset me more, Cause specificly I loosened them to just slightly beyond hand tight. And bellieve me, the white nuckle attempts to get them to loosen will be remembered. I grabbed my camera took more pics, making sure the mechanic was in the pic.
I then used a socket. Right in front of him I tightend 2 bolts at least a turn or two. His jaw dropped. I said now I would seriously rethink your lie..

I told him to fix this bike correctly Now, or else your lies will be told to a Lawyer.
Needless to say I got my money back and that afternoon my bike was properly fixed.
Since I stayed and watched him do it.

I don't trust the yamaha dealers at all. They have tremedous work loads. They tend to take short cuts on jobs that are not noticable to the customer And or will not cause serious injury.

A week later I got an apology from the store manager stating that It was an embarassment that someone on his team would pull a stunt like this, And neccisary actions will be taken to ensure the quality of future customers.
Then he gave me some coupons for 15% off anything in the store.

I honestly hope they do get there act together.

Just one of many stories I could tell ya about Our good old faithful Mechanic.

This time I just had my butt covered.

Old 11-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

3cross, very well said. props

i wish i could have been there to see the mechanic jaw drop

Old 11-27-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

15% off of $6,500 (new Raptor) is $975 off or.... $5,525 New!!!

Old 11-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

The jaw drop was priceless.
Its one of the few times I actually went in prepared.
It was worth the effort to know that I'm gonna get the job done correctly,

Since I did that, mechanics, Managers all know my face.
Not sure if this is a good thing yet, But, I get the work done, and done correctly.
If I need something done now, I normally Go and watch, If time allows.
They have a fit. But.
I understand they have insurance issues on bay restraints, I stay outside there bay area, which is about 4 ft from the gate, I can respect the safety issue.

Not only that, It gives me an opportunity to learn to do it myself. So In my ignorance on the workings of motors carbs and the like. I learned and be more willing to try on my own, Saving me money.

I think I'll probably use the 15% for the lady and get her a blaster.
With her being 90lbs wet and only 5'1"
I need the smaller machine.

I don't mean to bash all the dealers/ mechanics. I have met a few excellent mechanics.
Who take pride in there work. Those individuals gain my business and my respect.
I just happen to run into alot of bad ones.

Old 11-28-2001, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

That is a great story !! That takes B*lls!! but hey it worked so what the heck!! Its just so frustrating...the thng is i brought it to NJ where i originally purchased it..i live in NYC area so its hard for me to do that..i think i am gonig to find a dealrship that is closer..but here in NY (5 boros) its even worst. This is Crooklyn over here...i guess there are crooks everywhere!

What a shame that you can't find a YAMAHA dealership..you can actually trust....

I looked at my bolts on the bikes..where the valve cover is and it looks like someone did lossen the bolts just becaus eof the marks left from the allen key..i also looked on the case and again the slots looked like they have been moved..but who knows for sure.

Old 11-28-2001, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Joey
checking the valve adjustment yourself is not that difficult, and I would always at least check the intakes (the exhaust is hard to get to). pull your plastic and gas tank, remove:spark plug, screw covers (2) by your shifter, turn the bottom bolt counterclockwise until you see the I in the top hole line up with the notch (dont mistake the timing mark which is H shaped). this puts you at TDC. remove the cover over your intake valves. use a feeler gauge to measure the gap between the rocker and valve guide, stock cam it should be between 0.1mm and 0.15mm (0.004"->0.006&quot, if you have no gap crank the engine around one more time to make sure you are at tdc. adjusting them is a bit tougher it takes a 10mm wrench for the lock nut and 3mm for the adjuster. You can check the exhaust if you can get to them remove the bolt cover above the exhaust outlet they should be at 0.15mm->0.20mm, they are difficult to adjust because of the angle into the opening. I do it myself and save the $180 and I am sure it is done right

Old 11-28-2001, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

i am seriously contimplating doing it myself. Two things though....Where can i get a feeler gauge from? I am assuming an automotive store. 2nd is it ok just to adjust the intake vavles and not the exhaust?

Old 11-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I found cheap feeler gauge at autozone ($2.49), make sure they have sizes small enough to do valve adjustment-> at least .004". you might not need to adjust the exhaust but at least check them, it is adjusting them that is tough. also make sure you adjust valves with the engine cold, I never found a 3mm for the adjuster had to use needlenose pliers

Quick Reply: Raptor Valve adjustment again? already? Hmmmm